The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Here are the Hot Jobs as of January, 22nd, 2012.
Interested in any of the positions listed below, please contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
1. K9 Officer #1684822 – Responsibilities include but are not limited to the overall are and custody of trained canine. Assist Correction Officers as requested. Assist investigations and searched as requested. Perform other duties as assigned by Sheriff.
2. Phlebotomist #1681277 – Certified, experienced phlebotomist needed to work as a floater. Guaranteed 20 hr/week. Must be willing to work until 7 or 7:30 p.m. and also on Saturdays if needed. Must have transportation. H.S. Diploma, Prefer good computer skills, Phlebotomy certification required.
DAYS: 27 HRS/WEEK Monday-Thursday 9-1; Fridays 9-1 and Saturdays 9-2.
EVES: 11 HRS/WEEK Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 5-8:00 & Saturdays 9-2.
DUTIES: Contact homeowners by phone to schedule appointments for home improvement estimates. Training provided. Good extra income for retirees and college students. Salary plus commission.
4. Sheriffs Inmate Management System Manager #1686516 – Individual will be responsible for all tasks associated with the implementation, post implementation, and ongoing tasks associated with the agency’s Sheriffs Inmate Management System (SIMS). In addition this individual will be responsible for obtaining and maintaining a thorough knowledge of SIMS functionality to ensure that the system is being utilized to its full potential by all agency staff.
5. Boatyard Help #1689044 – Duties include, but not limited to, operating forklift, power washing, yard and building maintenance, bottom paint, shrink wrap, detailing and waxing, and assisting with haul and launches. Resumes being accepted via fax at 508-992-4216 or email to email@example.com. NO WALK INS OR PHONE CALLS.
6. Fiberglass Repair/Refinish Technician #1689041 – Experienced in all areas of structural/cosmetic repair. Must be experienced in application and repair of all marine coatings. 5 years minimum. Year round employment, come join a winning team. Resumes accepted via fax at 508-992-4216 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. NO WALK INS OR PHONE CALLS.
7. CDL CLASS A BOAT HAULERS #1689048 – CDL Class A Boat Haulers w/hydraulic trailer experience only. Preferably with crane experience. 3 years minimum. Year round employment. Resumes accepted via email to email@example.com or fax 508-992-4216 NO WALK INS OR PHONE CALLS.