New Bedford area residents and visitors are invited to enjoy an evening full of free, family-friendly programming on New Year’s Eve in Downtown New Bedford’s Seaport Cultural District! Join us as we bid farewell to 2016 and ring in the New Year! Festivities will commence at 5:00 PM on Saturday, December 31, 2016. Program highlights throughout the evening include: street performers, stilt walkers, jugglers, fire-eaters, and so much more! New Bedford’s New Year’s Eve festivities will culminate with a spectacular fireworks display on the waterfront at 8:30PM.
New Year’s Eve program highlights include:
- Catch a dynamic Toe Jam Puppet Band performance at 5:30, 6:30 or 7:30 PM at the YMCA!
- Family Magic Workshop with Jedlie’s Magic Circus at New Bedford Art Museum/Artworks! 5:30 and 6:30 PM
- NEW for 2016! Face Art by Vera at the New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park Vistor Center 5:30-7:30 PM
- Enjoy festive harmonies by harpist Eve MacFarlane at New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park Vistor Center 6 – 8 PM
- Whaling City Sounds provides Jazz music at the UMass Dartmouth CVPA/Star Store 5 – 7 PM
- NEW for 2016! Living art/costumed performance by Ten31 Productions at UMass Dartmouth CVPA/Star Store 5:30 – 7:30 PM
- West African Drum Ensemble “Kekeli” at the Zeiterion’s Penler Space 6:30-8 PM
- NEW for 2016! Holiday ice sculpture and selfies with Olaf in Custom House Sqaure 5:30 – 7:30 PM
- Cirque de Light will heat up the night with improvisational fire spinning and LED hoop performances 5 – 8 PM (Union Street, Purchase Street, Custom House Square, Wing’s Court)
- DJ Anghelli will be spinning the dance hits in Wings Court 5 – 8 PM
- “NYE 2016 Smile Cam” (live photo projection) by Visionary Communications in Wings Court 6 – 8 PM. (Smile for the camera and download your pictures later from DestinationNewBedford.org)
- NEW for 2016! Fortune Teller (costumed performance) by Ten31 Productions at Fishing Heritage Center 5:30 – 7:30 PM
- OVERHEAD ARTS performances with stilt walkers, unicycles, and glow props
(Union Street, Purchase Street, Custom House Square, Wing’s Court)
New Bedford’s New Year’s Eve festivities will culminate with a spectacular fireworks display on the waterfront at 8:30PM.
NOTE: Fireworks viewing will NOT be allowed on the east face of State pier New Year’s Eve. Instead, fireworks viewers will be encouraged to watch from lower Union Street which will be closed vehicle traffic at Route 18 and Union Street, Union Street to N. Water Street.
For more information and a complete list of New Year’s Eve events visit www.DestinationNewBedford.org/holidays2016
City Celebrates New Year’s Eve is presented by the City of New Bedford and Mayor Jon Mitchell, in collaboration with, the Port of New Bedford, Destination New Bedford. All events are sponsored by Event Sponsor; Bristol County Savings Bank, and supporting sponsor; Blue Cross Blue Shield MA. Fireworks co-sponsors include Tucker Roy Marine Towing and Salvage, Inc. & AGM Marine Contractors.
Local partners include the City of New Bedford Department of Parks and Recreation, The Zeiterion Performing Arts Center, UMass Dartmouth CVPA, New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park, YMCA of Southeastern MA, New Bedford Art Museum/Artworks!, New Bedford Historical Society, and the Fishing Heritage Center.