Tonight, Downtown New Bedford will celebrate AHA!, the “Hear Me Roar” edition in honor of National Women’s History Month for March. Here’s a list of the top five woman-themed events that you should check out tonight if you’re in the city.
5) Strong Arm Challenge: The Hear Me Roar Edition at The Rose Alley Ale House (94 Front St.): Women especially are encouraged to come down and flex their muscles in an arm wrestling contest, though both sexes are allowed. Everyone present is automatically entered into a Strong Arm themed raffle. The event is hosted by MC Chris Swanson and starts at 8pm.
4) Anything by Kim Barry: Her custom pots spent some time with the Obama’s on their trip to the Vineyard last summer, and we’ll get a double dose of her talents for AHA! as she will be featured at both Gallery 65 and the Pour Farm Tavern. Her artwork will grace the walls at the Pour Farm, and she will also be showing, “a display of her large decorative plant containers, resplendent with orchids, and she will give an orchid potting demonstration and impart information about orchid species and care, and a variety of orchids and orchid pots will be on sale during the evening,” according to the AHA! website.
3) Belly dancing at Boutique Fitness: (516 Pleasant St. #104) Boutique Fitness is new to AHA!, having just opened their doors in late February, but that doesn’t mean they’re not ready to move. It is their goal, “to inspire you to live optimally” by providing you with guidance needed to achieve an effective but atypical workout, and they will have a belly dancing performance by Andrea Corrieri at 7pm to prove it.
2) Commons (778 Purchase St.) will have a trio of women worth celebrating, as they welcome special guest chef Jan Baptist, hip-hop artist The Empress and photographer Amanda Cain into their establishment. Jan will do the cooking, The Empress will provide the entertainment, and a collection of Cain’s work will be featured. Also, from 6-8pm catch Chris Haskell live. Facebook event here.
1) The unfriendly females of Mass Attack Roller Derby will be skating down Purchase Street at 6pm, courtesy of the Pour Farm Tavern. According to their website, “Mass Attack Roller Derby (MARD) is a female flat track roller derby league founded in November 2010. Silver City Sports Complex is the home rink for MARD in Taunton, Massachusetts.” They are currently looking for newcomers, so tonight would be a great night to check them out and see how you stack up—if you think you’ve got what it takes.
A list of dozens of AHA! events and happenings can be found on their website here.