By Greg Desrosiers
The Newport Craft Beer Festival returns to downtown Newport this month for the sixth year. The two-session event will take place at the Great Friends Meeting House on Saturday, 29th.
This year’s theme is going unfiltered, meaning all breweries attending must bring some of their haziest, juiciest New England-style IPA. This popular style has taken over the craft beer market and demand shows no signs of slowing down.
The festival is co-sponsored by the Newport Storm Brewery and Pour Judgment Bar & Grille and will feature over 30 breweries from nearly a dozen states.
The NCBF isn’t your typical beer festival, since it is run by brewers, for brewers. Each brewery is required to send its own staff so guests can pick their brains and learn about the beers from the people behind their creation.
The festival will also feature “Guild Row,” an area designated for members of the Rhode Island Brewers Guild. The RI Brewers Guild is a non-profit organization that supports Ocean State brewers. All proceeds from the festival go toward funding the Guild, which has raised over $50,000 from the previous five Newport Craft Beer Festivals combined.
“We’re thrilled to have brought the event from a 1-day, 1-session festival with 25 breweries in its inception in 2012, to a multi-day craft beer tasting extravaganza!” says Festival Director, Taylor Butzbach. “And to be able to grow the event but artfully keep it personable for both attendees and brewers aligns with our continuous goal of a really special overall experience. We also love giving each year’s event a fun, new theme, giving the brewers the opportunity to prominently feature different styles, ingredients, elements and brewing techniques of their beers… and maybe get a taste ourselves!”
Tickets are still available to the afternoon session (noon-3pm) and the evening session (4pm-7pm) for $45 per person. Tickets are 21+ and include admission, unlimited beer sampling and a commemorative tasting glass. Guests will also have the opportunity to vote in the 4th Annual Fan Favorite Brewery Award.
For tickets and full festival information, visit NewportCraftBeer.com
Breweries attending the 6th Annual Newport Craft Beer Festival:
- Newport Storm Brewery – Newport, RI
- Black Hog Brewing Co. – Oxford, CT
- Ballast Point Brewing – San Diego, CA
- Grey Sail Brewing of Rhode Island – Westerly, RI
- Foolproof Brewing – Pawtucket, RI
- Hidden Cove Brewery – Wells, ME
- Narragansett Brewing Co. – Pawtucket, RI
- Whalers Brewing Co. – Wakefield, RI
- Lagunitas Brewing Co. – Petaluma, CA
- Two Roads Brewing – Stratford, CT
- Ithaca Beer Co. – Ithaca, NY
- Coddington Brewing Co. – Middletown, RI
- Woodstock Inn Brewery – North Woodstock, NH
- Clown Shoes Beer – Ipswich, MA
- Trinity Brewhouse – Providence, RI
- Buzzards Bay Brewing – Westport, MA
- von Trapp Brewing – Stowe, VT
- Smuttynose Brewing Co. – Hampton, NH
- Weyerbacher Brewing – Easton, PA
- Brooklyn Brewery – Brooklyn, NY
- Crooked Current Brewery – Pawtucket, RI
- Revival Brewing Co. – Cranston, RI
- Green Flash Brewing Co. – San Diego, CA
- Bog Iron Brewing – Norton, MA
- Stony Creek Brewery – Branford, CT
- Harpoon Brewery – Boston, MA
- Otter Creek Brewing – Middlebury, VT
- Mighty Squirrel Brewing Co. – Boston, MA
- Thimble Island Brewing Co. – Branford, CT
- Ravenous Brewing Co. – Woonsocket, RI
- Bucket Brewery – Pawtucket, RI
- Sons of Liberty Beer & Spirits Co. – South Kingstown, RI
- Tilted Barn Brewery – Exeter, RI