The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Here are the Hot Jobs as of January, 29th, 2013.
Interested in any of the positions listed below, please contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
1. Embedded Software Engineer # 1777160 – BS in Electrical or Computer Science required. Minimal of 5 years’ experience with the ability to hit the ground running. The types of software engineer we find desirable have skills with either Linux or a real time operating system. Some experience with multithreaded application development and object oriented design. In addition, TCP/IP and networking experience. A real team-player is a must! Contract possible with possibility of permanent employment.
2. Marketing & Sales Assistant #1782005 – Must have some college and high school diploma. Experience in sales a must. Exceptional customer service skills, telemarketing, telephone skills, familiar with internet marketing/social media. Must be proficient with computers such as data entry. Good writing skills. Being creative and innovative is a PLUS.
3. Maintenance Mechanic#1787492 – Experience in the repair of production machinery in a fast paced environment including observing and testing the operation of machinery and equipment. Ability to diagnose equipment malfunctions and off-quality problems. Able to complete disassembly of production and manufacturing equipment in order to remove parts and make repairs with no assistance.
Ability to assemble equipment after completion of repairs, inspections, changeovers, setups, testing, or other modification including verification machine performs to production specifications following completion of work.
Ability to support R&D new product development efforts via machine modifications, setups, trials. Experience performing preventative maintenance of manufacturing equipment. Able to explain the principles of preventive, predictive, and importance of PM activities.
Ability to keep logs, maintain inventory control system, requisition appropriate materials, and maintain documentation as required. Must possess the basic understanding of the principles of electricity and be capable of using electrical test equipment.
4. Landscaping Crew Manager #1787511 – Reputable landscaping company is looking for a hands on crew manager. This employer is looking for someone who can take charge, work right alongside their team, willing to work whatever hours it takes to get the job done. The employer has built a strong working relationship with exclusive residential home, so strong customer services skills is required. Must have some knowledge of landscaping and/or worked directly with a landscaping company. Sales skills are also needed to bring in new customers to the company. Strong work ethic and honesty is of importance.
5. CDL-Class A Driver #1787525 – CDL Class A drivers transport products from distribution center to customer locations, conduct pre/post trip inspections, unload cased products from trailer to desired customer location, and other duties as assigned. Drivers must be willing to operate a TracScan unit and be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds frequently and lift and/or move up to 100 pounds occasionally. Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills are required. Qualifications include: High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
6. Cashier/Clerk #1792762 – Cash handling experience necessary, lottery experience and tobacco experience preferred. Split shift.
Age 21 or older need apply. EMPLOYER PREFERS MATURE JOB SEEKERS. (Employer has three locations in the New Bedford Area)
7. Embroidery Machine Operators #1752791 – 1st and 2nd shifts available. Will train the right candidate. Must demonstrate the ability to speak, read and follow directions in English. Must be able to work in a fast paced environment, read orders, arrange garments on embroidery machine, thread and operate machinery. Must be able to walk, bend, push and pull for extended period of time.
8. Site Support Specialist #1792868 – Bachelor’s Degree preferred (Associates may be accepted), this position requires a minimum of one year of professional experience in juvenile justice, child welfare, behavioral health or related field. This applicant will also need to have the necessary skills and capabilities to use a computer, valid driver’s license, approved driving record, and their own vehicle to carry out the demands of the position. THERE IS SIGNIFICANT TRAVEL FOR THIS POSITION.
The program works with DYS committed youth returning to their home community from a residential or treatment program. The DYS youth are supervised within this program to prevent continued delinquent behavior by building skills, providing opportunities, and enhancing individual and family strengths.
*Daily travel throughout Plymouth, Cape Cod & surrounding communities