As of Thursday, Dec. 1 the schedule has been CHANGED. You can read how it has changed here.
“The city’s holiday season kicks off this weekend, with the Downtown Holiday Stroll and Tree Lighting on Saturday followed by the Clasky Common Tree Lighting on Sunday. Here are the details:
Downtown Holiday Stroll
Date and time: 12 – 5 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3
(Rain date: 12 – 5 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10)
Location: Downtown New Bedford
• Santa, New Bedford Fire Museum Antique Fire Truck Rides, Southcoast Brass Band (Barkers Lane) 12 – 5 p.m.
• Seaglass Theater Company Carolers, the Starchasers Fleet, the Winter Fairy (various locations) 12 – 5 p.m.
• Story Time with Salty Santa and Ornament Craft Projects (Fishing Heritage Center) 12 – 5 p.m.
• Kids’ Crafts and Hot Chocolate (various locations) 12 – 5 p.m.
• Vendor Market (YWCA Southeastern MA) 1 – 5 p.m.
• Meet & greet with Celebrity Puppeteer Bill Diamond (PLAY Arcade) 12 – 5 p.m.
• Holiday Open House at the Nathan and Mary Johnson House (NB Historical Society) 12 – 5 p.m.
• BuyBlackNB Holiday Market (New Bedford Whaling Museum) 12 – 5 p.m. plus entertainment (Alma Stomp Crew, Our Sisters’ School Soul Sisters, UMASS Dartmouth Gospel Choir, Pan African Dance Group, New Bedford Performing Arts Center Dancers 12:30 – 3 p.m.
• Calico Makers’ Mini Market with DJ Anj Kepinski (Bristol Hall) 12 – 5 p.m.
• Santa spotting throughout downtown
City of New Bedford Downtown Christmas Tree Lighting
Date and time: 5 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3
Location: Pleasant Street in front of Main Library downtown
• Join Mayor Jon Mitchell, New Bedford City Council President Ian Abreu, and the New Bedford community for the annual tree-lighting celebration. This year’s emcee will be Armand Marchand, executive producer for New Bedford Festival Theater.
• At 4:30 p.m., a parade will march from the bottom of William Street, near the Whaling Museum, to the library steps for the tree-lighting. The parade will feature the New Bedford High School marching band and color guard, Santa and Mrs. Claus, and surprise guests
• Remarks at the library by Mayor Mitchell and Councilor Abreau will be followed by holiday songs by Miss New Bedford Tori Kalisz and Miss New Bedford Outstanding Teen Jaime St. Onge
• Free hot chocolate will be offered courtesy of Community Services, Veterans Transition House, and New Life Church
• United Way will have a toy drive box for children from infants to teenagers. All gifts must be unwrapped
Clasky Common Park Christmas Tree Lighting
Date and time: 5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 4
Location: Clasky Common Park at County Street and Pope Street
• Remarks by Mayor Mitchell and Councilor Abreau, followed by holiday songs by Miss New Bedford Tori Kalisz, Miss New Bedford Outstanding Teen Jaime St. Onge, and the Parker School Chorus
• Guest appearances by Santa and Mrs. Claus
• United Way will have a toy drive box for children from infants to teenagers. All gifts must be unwrapped.” -City of New Bedford.