“In 2023, ARTnet helped downtown New Bedford art gallery owner Alison Wells launch the “Grateful Palette Community.” It’s a monthly membership that allows you to explore and refine your skills freely through art journaling and mixed media painting techniques that you can learn more about at alisonwellsart.com.
And, it helped Candida Rose Baptista – vocalist, entertainer and educator of Golden Rose Music – release her new album “Here I Am” featuring 14 songs with themes of solidarity, hope, and faith. You can purchase and download it at candidarose.net.
Meanwhile, Art is Everywhere helped Chakira Gonsalves and Fitzcarmel LaMarre bring Reggae to West Beach, and Wicked Cool Places assisted the Community Economic Development Center (CEDC) with turning Riverside Park into Patio de Comidas and Festival Tipico de Guatemala.
In 2024, it just may be your turn to realize your artistic ambitions in the city of New Bedford by applying for either an ARTnet, Art is Everywhere, or Wicked Cool Places grant.
New Bedford Creative is excited to explore the possibilities with you as applications are now being accepted for its three grant programs aimed at fostering creativity and innovation in the city. These programs, funded through the City of New Bedford’s Arts, Culture and Tourism Fund and ARPA/American Rescue Plan Act, play a vital role in advancing New Bedford as one of the most culturally unique and creative cities in America. All they need to accomplish that mission is…you!
The grant programs, each with its own distinct focus, are designed to empower artists, entrepreneurs, community groups, and individuals to contribute to New Bedford’s creative landscape and bring opportunity to its neighborhoods. Here is an overview of the three grant programs:
ARTnet: Artist Recovery and Training Network
• ARTnet is a comprehensive initiative designed to support artists in their recovery from the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
• It provides financial support, business planning assistance, training workshops, and access to a network of creative entrepreneurs.
Art is Everywhere!
• Art is Everywhere! is a grant program that seeks creative solutions to expedite the recovery of New Bedford’s neighborhoods from the pandemic.
• Originally established in 2020, it prioritizes projects that directly impact residents, visitors, and businesses while promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and access (DEIA).
Wicked Cool Places
• Wicked Cool Places is a grant program aimed at creating or enhancing vibrant spaces within New Bedford’s neighborhoods.
• It focuses on projects that involve and positively impact residents, visitors, and businesses, contributing to the city’s cultural vitality.
Grant awards for these programs range from $2,500 to $20,000, accommodating projects of varying scales. Individuals, non-profits, community groups, and for-profits are all eligible to apply.
To provide further guidance and support, New Bedford Creative is offering 30-minute one-on-one sessions with Creative Specialist Hendrick Hernandez-Resto. Interested parties can schedule a session by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org. It is highly recommended to review the guidelines and questions on newbedfordcreative.org before scheduling a session, as slots are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
All #NBCreative grant applications will undergo a rigorous evaluation process by a selection committee of local community leaders from New Bedford. Proposals will be scored based on criteria such as quality and creativity, community benefit, partnership, planning, and budget.
New Bedford Creative encourages all creative minds and community advocates to seize this opportunity to contribute to the city’s vibrant cultural tapestry and make a lasting impact on its neighborhoods.
For more information and to access the application portal, please visit newbedfordcreative.org.”