City of New Bedford, AHA!, and Destination New Bedford present City Celebrates! New Year’s Eve 2014 in the heart of the downtown historic district. The Presenting Sponsor for New Year’s Eve is Bristol County Savings Bank. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts and Southcoast Health System will co-sponsor the fireworks along with the City of New Bedford.
Join the AHA! partners for a family-friendly evening in Downtown New Bedford. The FREE New Year’s Celebration goes from 4:30 to 8 p.m. — but feel free to arrive early and stay late!
“City Celebrates! New Year’s Eve is a great opportunity to celebrate the start of 2014 with friends and family in downtown New Bedford. With ice sculpting, fire eating, magic, music, delicious food and spectacular fireworks, you can ring in the New Year here in downtown New Bedford with friends and family. Our city is grateful for the support of civic-minded partners like Bristol County Savings Bank presenting sponsor, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts fireworks sponsor and Southcoast Health System contributing sponsor who have stepped forward to ensure an enjoyable New Years Eve celebration for all New Bedford residents and visitors,” said Mayor Jon Mitchell.
FREE programming from 4:30 to 8 p.m. includes:
- The night kicks offs from City Hall with Mayor Jon Mitchell at 4:30 p.m. Miss New Bedford and Miss New Bedford Outstanding Teen will be entertaining as well as Showstoppers and the steel drum ensemble from UMASS Dartmouth.
- The Seaman’s Bethel hosts an Ecumenical Church Service from 5 to 6 p.m.
- Fire & Ice! Check out real fire-eaters on the Whaling Museum Plaza (18 Johnny Cake Hill) starting at 6 pm and watch live ice sculpting at Custom House Square starting at 4:30 p.m.
- If you’ve got kids, we’ve got activities! Head to the New Bedford Public Library (613 Pleasant St.) Circus programs with the New Bedford Drama Club.
- The best Toe Jam Puppet Band concerts at 5:30, 6:30 and 7:30 p.m. at the YMCA!
- Take your kids for crafts and games with the 19th Century Ladies at the New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park Visitor Center (33 William Street) from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Hit up the Family Magic Workshop with Jedlie’s Magic Circus
- The Suspenders who are fire-eaters, jugglers and street performers will be on William Street.
- Zeiterion Theatre presents the Magic of Lyn, you are sure to be amazed by this show! 5:00 and 6:30 p.m.
Music-lovers, you’re in luck! What a night we have in store for you:
- Aoife Clancy and Eddie Dillon play traditional Celtic Music in the Seamen’s Bethel 6:30-8:00 p.m.
- Scott Correia plays the grand piano at the Star Store UMass-Dartmouth CVPA from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- The Jim Robitaille Trio plays jazz at the New Bedford Art Museum from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m.
- Paul Nagel and Bill Miele play jazz from 5:00-6:30 p.m.
- Folkies, head to Café Arpeggio from 5 to 8 p.m. for Open Mic Night.
- Fado at Tia Maria’s 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Cape Verdean music at Artworks!
And, of course, don’t miss the FIREWORKS on the waterfront by State Pier at 8:30 p.m.!
In addition to all of these fun and FREE events, downtown museums, art galleries and unique boutique shops will be open all day and will stay open late for the New Year’s Eve celebration.
AHA! (Art, History, Architecture!) partner restaurants will be open all night long for dinner, live music and spirits perfect for counting down to 2014. For a full list of restaurants, events and sponsors, go to www.ahanewbedford.org or call (508) 996-8253 x 205. Pick up Night-of schedules at the participating sites the week of the event.
Directions: From I-195 E or W. Take Exit 15 (Rte. 18). Follow Rte 18 to 1st traffic signal; take a right onto Elm St. The Elm Street garage will be on your right.
Visitors can also park at the Zeiterion Parking garage located on Acushnet Avenue. Available parking will be FREE after 5 p.m. There will be NO parking on state pier.