With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, men around New Bedford will be squirming to satisfy their lady’s need to be loved on 14 February. There is a good chance that some men will forget Valentine’s Day and suffer the consequence of sleeping on the couch. Most men will make a feeble attempt at declaring their love by simply going through the motions by taking their lady out to dinner at the same tired places.
Guys, here are eight great date ideas to ensure your Valentine’s Day not only goes smoothly, but ensures your lady throws you into bed instead of the couch.
1. Carabiners Indoor Rock Climbing (website) – Rock climbing can be fun date. Since opening in 2004, Carabiners has been offering New Bedford residents a fun way to exercise. It also provides a great venue for an active date.
2. Ice Skating – Ice skating can be a fun, romantic time. The only problem is Hetland Ice Skating Rink in New Bedford (310 Hathaway Blvd, 508-999-9051) is only open to the public from 12:30 to 2:30pm on 14 February. If you are having a lunch date this may be the place for you.
3. Spend the day Downtown for AHA! – AHA! (Art • History • Architecture) is one of the best events each month in New Bedford, and this month’s “Ha Ha on AHA!” falls on Valentine’s Day. Their full schedule of events can be found at: http://ahanewbedford.org/calendar.html.
4. Visit a Museum or Art Gallery – New Bedford offers outstanding museums and galleries. Here are the places you should consider:
- Gallery X – 169 William Street – (508) 992-2675
- Artworks! – 384 Acushnet Avenue, (508) 984-1588
- Arthur Moniz Art Gallery – 22 William Street, (508) 997-8644
- Judith Klein Art Gallery – 752 A Purchase Street, (508) 965-7396
- New Bedford Museum of Glass – 61 Wamsutta Street, (508) 984-1666
- TL6 the Gallery – 100 William Street, (508) 992-8100
- UGLYgallery – 246 Union Street, (508) 264-5747
- Crowell’s Fine Art – 382 Acushnet Avenue, (508) 992-5231
5. Couples Massage – You can’t go wrong with a couples massage. The best location for a couple massage is Gloria and Company on 211 Alden Road in Fairhaven. It costs $160 per couple for 1 hour.
6. Wine Tasting at Crush Fine Wines – Enjoy a FREE wine tasting and discount on your wine orders at Crush Fine Wines on 801 Purchase Street! The “Battle of the Sexy’s” Wine Tasting is from 6-7:30 pm. You must be 21 years old to attend and RSVP at email@example.com.
7. Chocolate Primer & Sampling at the New Bedford Whaling Museum – It’s no secret that women love chocolate, even more so on Valentine’s Day! The event is from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m at the Whaling Museum on 18 Johny Cake Hill. The free public event will feature talks by two chocolate historians and sampling of authentic colonial chocolate beverage recipes. Full details here.
8. Dinner at a Nice Restaurant – If you don’t have a reservation at one of these restaurant, you may be too late. These places offer some fine dining and the perfect atmosphere for your date.
- The Candleworks Restaurant – Outstanding atmosphere and quality food.
- Cork Wine and Tapas Bar – Romantic atmosphere and unique menu items.
- The Waterfront Grille – Outstanding atmosphere and quality food.
- Cafe Balena (24 North Water Street) – Romantic atmosphere
- The Pasta House (Fairhaven) – Outstanding atmosphere and quality food.
- The Urban Grille – 774 Purchase Street, New Bedford- Ken Richards will be playing live.
9. Charter a Private Scenic Air Tour – Guys trying to pull out all the stops can charter a scenic flight with Atlantic Aviation at the New Bedford Airport. The cost is $195/hour or $135 per 1/2 hour. They offer three tours:
- Route # 1. Newport Mansions – Newport Bridge
- Route # 2: Cape Cod Bridges – Woods Hole
- Route # 3. Gillette Stadium – Boston – Providence
Contact info: (508) 979-7878, (774) 226-5189 or (774) 226-6434 (Mobile)
10. Make a Reservation at a Nice Hotel – Here is a list of excellent hotels and bed and breakfasts in the area:
- Fairfield Inn & Suites New Bedford
- Hampton Inn Fairhaven
- Davenport House Bed & Breakfast
- Orchard Street Manor
- Captain Haskell’s Octagon House
- Melville House Bed And Breakfast
- Wayfarer Bed & Breakfast
- Baggins End Guest House
- The Mattapoisett Inn
- Lizzie Borden Bed and Breakfast
Extra Credit: Order Your Netflix or Redbox Movie Early – Don’t be a buffoon and wait until the last minute to order a romantic movie. I recommend Shakespeare in Love, The Notebook, Moulin Rouge, Casablanca, Ghost or Sixteen Candles. Here is a good Top 50 list.
Plan your Valentine’s day early and take your date out somewhere special. It’s up to you whether Cupid’s arrow strikes your lady in the heart…or you in the groin.