The City of New Bedford continues to conduct around-the-clock snow removal operations across the city in the wake of the 2015 Blizzard that spanned two days and dumped nearly two feet of snow.
Nearly all secondary roadways are now open after many were rendered “unplowable” due to high drifts caused by the near hurricane force winds of the 2015 Blizzard. Snow drifts as high as six feet have made the storm especially challenging for City crews.
Residents are being encouraged to report snow removal issues on city streets to the Department of Public Infrastructure (DPI) at (508) 991-6150. The City has also activated a second phone number at (508) 979-1520 to report snow issues. And, residents may report their snow removal issues directly to DPI by emailing Stormcentral@newbedford-ma.gov.
Citywide Snow Emergency Parking Ban Effective Until 6 P.M.
Thursday, January 29, 2015 The City of New Bedford has announced a citywide snow emergency parking ban has been extended and will remain in effect until 6 P.M. on Thursday. The parking ban will be strictly enforced. The parking ban is designed to allow City workers to efficiently remove snow from New Bedford roadways to allow public safety vehicles and residents to travel safely.
While the snow emergency parking ban is in effect, parking is permitted on the side of the street that is opposite the fire hydrants. No vehicle should be parked on the same side of the street as a fire hydrant, except on streets that are regularly posted for parking on one side of the street only. In posted areas, residents are to obey the signs as usual.
The citywide parking ban will be double-sided in both the Acushnet Avenue Business District and the Downtown Business District. Downtown parking is available at no charge in the Elm Street and the Zeiterion Parking Garages.
Violations of this parking regulation will be subject to ticketing at $50 per ticket and towing at full cost to the owner of the vehicle towed. The vehicle owner is also responsible for the full cost of storage for any towed vehicle.
The City of New Bedford has designated the following areas as preferred parking areas for those residents in need of off-street parking while the emergency snow parking ban is in effect:
· Victory Park – Brock Avenue
· Hazelwood Park – Brock Avenue
· Roosevelt Middle School – Brock Avenue and Dennis Street
· Cove Street Parking Lot – Cove Street and Morton Court
· Orchard Street at Camara Soccer Field
· Congdon School – Thompson and Hemlock Street
· Buttonwood Park Parking Area – Hawthorn Street Side and Lake Street Side
· Former St. Mary’s Home – Entrance on Mill Street
· Coggeshall Street Parking Lot – Coggeshall Street and Acushnet Avenue
· Sawyer Street Parking Lot – Between Sawyer Street and Beetle Street
· Brooklawn Park Parking Area – Brooklawn Street (South Side)
· Normandin Middle School – Tarkiln Hill Road
· Jireh Swift School – Tarkiln Hill Road
· Campbell School – Phillips Road
· Riverside Park Lot – Coffin Avenue
· Coffin Avenue Lot- Across from Taber Mills Apartments
· Alma del Mar Charter School (former Ottiwell School) – 26 Madeira Avenue
· Former AVX site on Bellville Avenue at Hadley Street
· Philips Avenue School – 249 Phillips Avenue
· DeValles School – 120 Katherine Street
· Parker School – 705 County Street
· Elm Street Garage
· Zeiterion Garage – 688 Purchase Street
New Bedford Public Schools Closed Tomorrow, Thursday, January 29, 2015
All New Bedford Public Schools will be closed tomorrow, Thursday January 29, 2015. The Paul Rodrigues Administration Building offices, and offices only at New Bedford High School and the middle schools, will be open. Please monitor local media and the New Bedford Public Schools website www.newbedfordschools.org for updates.
New Bedford City Offices Delayed Opening Tomorrow, Thursday, January 29, 2015
City offices will open at 12 noon on Thursday, January 29, 2015. Residents with non-urgent matters are encouraged to consider postponing their business at City Hall, as the parking ban will remain in effect. Residents with urgent matters at City Hall are advised to park in the downtown parking garages (Elm Street Garage and Zeiterion Garage) which are open and free to the public. The Hillman Street lot will also be open to those doing business with city departments located at the Hillman Street Complex.
As a reminder, the City has extended the deadline for quarterly tax payments until Friday, February 6, 2015.
The New Bedford Public Library (all branches), all senior centers and the Buttonwood Park Zoo will remain closed on Thursday, January 29, 2015 and will reopen on Friday January 30, 2015.
New Bedford Regional Airport will be open tomorrow Thursday, January 29, 2015 for regular service. Passengers should contact their air carriers directly to confirm their flight status.
Two-Day Delay in Residential Trash Collection/City Suspends Enforcement of Trash Violations
As previously announced, ABC Disposal will operate trash collection this week on a two-day delay. If your trash is normally collected on Tuesday it will be collected on Thursday, if normally collected on Wednesday it should be set curbside on Friday, if normally collected on Thursday it will be collected on Saturday, if normally collected on Friday it should be set curbside on Sunday.
In addition, the City is temporarily suspending normal enforcement of trash violations through Sunday to provide flexibility for residents regarding trash set outs. The City recognizes it may be difficult for many persons, particularly the elderly, to use their carts this week. Residents are encouraged to use the carts if at all possible; however, residents may set out trash in a bag on their designated collection schedule if necessary.
City Extends Deadline for Payment of Quarterly Tax Bill
Property owners attempting to pay quarterly tax bills are being granted additional time to submit payments. Payments that were previously due on Monday, February 2, 2015 are now due by Friday, February 6, 2015.
Pilgrim United Church Remains Open for Residents in Need of Shelter
Pilgrim United Church (634 Purchase Street) will remain open unsheltered residents. The church is equipped with staff, food and cots.
SRTA to Provide Limited Service on Thursday, January 29, 2015
The Southeastern Regional Transit Authority has announced that service will resume on select routes tomorrow Thursday, January 29, 2015. Riders should call (508) 999-5211 for information about the status of SRTA services. For more details, including the list of select routes, visit www.srtabus.com.
Sand Available to City Residents at Various Locations
The Department of Public Infrastructure has made sand available to city residents at many locations throughout the city. Residents are advised to bring their own small container to collect the sand at any of the following locations:
- Norfolk St & Acushnet Ave
- Toby St & Acushnet Ave
- Manila St & Acushnet Ave
- Fire Station #5 –Acushnet Ave
- Phillips Rd & Pine Hill Dr
- Welby Rd, North Side, Between Two Buildings
- Essex St & Phillips Rd, Campbell School
- Saint Theresa’s Church – Acushnet Ave
- Balls Corner, Mill Rd & Belleville Ave
- Saint Mary’s School/Church –Illinois St
- Tarkiln Hill Rd & Acushnet Ave
- Police Station #3 – Ashley Blvd
- Wilks Library –Acushnet Ave & Princeton St
- Ashley Blvd & Princeton St
- Belleville Rd & Hope St
- Mount Pleasant St on Nash Rd Side (in place)
- Fire Station –Davis St & Acushnet Ave
- Deane St & Ashley Blvd
- Bullard St & Acushnet Ave
- Shawmut Diner, Between the Driveways
- Acushnet Ave & Sawyer St
- Sawyer St & Mount Pleasant St
- Beetle St & North Front St
- Beetle St & N. Front St
- Coggeshall St & Ashley Blvd
- Coggeshall & Purchase St
- 10 Kilburn St
- Purchase St & Logan St
- Rockdale Ave & Granit St
- Linden St & County St, South Side of Linden St
- Fire Station #7 –Durfee St & Cottage St
- Durfee St & Shawmut Ave
- Red Cross, Rockdale Ave & Durfee St
- Purchase St & Wamsutta Ave
- Sacred Heart Nursing Home, Studley St & Summer St, On West Side
- Merrimac St & County St
- 1554 Purchase St, Fire Repair
- Pleasant St & Pope St
- Parker St & County St, East Side of County St
- Parker St & Rockdale Ave
- Pleasant St & Pearl St
- Purchase St & Campbell St
- Cottage St & Campbell St
- Sycamore St & State St
- County St & Sycamore St
- Pleasant St, Rear Lot of Fire Prevention
- Maxfield St & Pleasant St
- E.M.T.S. Chancery St, Inside Parking Area
- S.E.C. Summer St & Hillman St
- Ash St & Hillman St
- Fire Station #2 –Pleasant St
- County St & North St
- Pope’s Island Marina
- Third District Court, North Side of Kempton St
- Liberty St & Kempton St
- Pleasant St & Middle St
- South Sixth St & Middle St
- County St & Middle St
- Elm St Garage, On Acushnet Ave
- Buttonwood Library
- Pier 3 –Visitors Center
- South Water & Hamilton St
- William St & Acushnet Ave, Custom House Square
- City Hall, Pleasant St Side
- Centre St & Front St
- Market St & Sixth St
- Second St & Union St
- Union St & Acushnet Ave
- Purchase St & Union St
- Eighth St and Union St
- County St & Union St
- Spring St & Pleasant St
- Zeiterion Garage, Acushnet Ave Entrance
- School St & Purchase St
- School St & Sixth St
- School St & County St
- Walnut St & Acushnet Ave
- Maple St & Atlantic St
- Maple St & Reed St
- Madison St & County St
- Fire Museum, Bedford St & Sixth St
- Page St & Bedford St
- Wing St & Acushnet Ave
- Wing St & County St
- Fair St & County St
- Fire Station #6, Purchase St
- Thompson St & Crapo St
- County St & Rivet St
- Bonney St & Rivet St
- Bolton St & Rivet St
- Delano St & South First St
- Jouvette St & Bonney St
- Howland Green Library, Driveway, Rodney French Blvd
- Rockdale Ave & Dartmouth St
- Fire Station #11, Brock Ave & Mott St
- Willard St & West Rodney French Blvd
- Clegg Field, Brock Ave
- Brock Ave & Portland St
- Wastewater Treatment Plant, Community Center
- South Rodney French Blvd, Cable Access Building
Important Emergency Contact Numbers
· To report a downed power line, medical, fire or other emergencies please dial 911.
· NSTAR is prepared to address and damage and outages resulting from the storm and encourages customers whose electric service is affected to call 1-800-592-2000. NSTAR strongly urges people to stay away from all down wires and to report them immediately.
· To report snow removal issues on city streets, residents may contact the Department of Public Infrastructure at (508) 991-6150. The City has also activated a second phone number at (508) 979-1520 to report snow issues. And, residents may report their snow removal issues directly to DPI at Stormcentral@newbedford-ma.gov.
· New Bedford Police Department may also be reached on its Non-emergency line at (508) 991-6350
· Please visit the City’s website at www.newbedford-ma.gov for more information and
updates from the City of New Bedford regarding the snowstorm.