New Bedford Guide’s Top 10 Stories of the Week – 4th Edition
Here are New Bedford Guide’s top stories this week from our website or Facebook page. Click on the bold title to read the original story.
- Death Investigation Underway at Scene of House Fire in New Bedford -A second floor house fire on 55 Rounds Street in New Bedford resulted in the discovery of a deceased man. 29-year old Justin Downey’s was later identified as the deceased. Investigators are calling the fires suspicious and his girlfriend was interviewed and suspects someone set the fire to cover up a murder. Discussion here.
- New Bedford Man Shot in the Back in South End – A man walked out of a south end New Bedford apartment and was shot in the back by an unidentified man. He was rushed to Rhode Island Hospital in critical condition. Discussion here.
- New Bedford High School Teacher Joanne Maura Exonerated of all Charges – Finally some good news, right? NBHS teacher Joanne Maura has been exonerated of all charges against her. Joanne Maura is the teacher who had a chair thrown at her by a New Bedford High School Student on March 24th, 2014. On April 8th, Ms. Maura was notified that she was under investigation and could be terminated. Discussion here.
- One woman’s candid experience of New Bedford’s public transportation – Cheryl M. Lamb-Spooner shared her candid experience with New Bedford’s public transportation. Discussion here.
- Who Remembers…The Bijou Theater? – Who remembers the Bijou Theater? $2 movie tickets and $1.50 concession items? Our Facebook fans took a trip down memory lane here.
- Superintendent Durkin Concludes Recent New Bedford High School Investigation – New Bedford Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Pia Durkin concluded the investigation into the chair throwing incident at New Bedford High School and sent out a press release with the results. Discussion here.
- The 10 Best Dishes on Earth and Where to Get Them Locally (Part 1) – We have some of the best food in the world right here. We presented our ’10 Best Dishes Earth and Where to Get Them Locally’ and the people were happier. Discussion here.
- 11 Things I Didn’t Know Until I Moved Here – Wicked? Quahog? These are words we take for granted, but are foreign to visitors to our area. Laura Pedulli fills us in on 11 quintessential local traits that I she was clueless about until she moved here seven years ago. Discussion here.
- Mayor Mitchell Establishes Public Art Committee; Announces New Mural Project – The New Bedford Public Art Committee is announcing the beginning of a new public mural project that is scheduled to be completed this summer. Discussion here.
- The Week of Southcoast, MA Sunsets – Our Facebook fans sent us a dozen amazing South Coast sunsets this week. Check out our timeline photos here.