Three residents were displaced after a fire broke out in the kitchen of a closed down restaurant in New Bedford. The New Bedford Fire Department released a statement on the situation.
“This afternoon at 12:40pm, the New Bedford Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 175 Sawyer St. This three story wood-frame building is a mixed use residential/commercial occupancy. On arrival, smoke was emitting from the east side restaurant kitchen roof vents. Engine 7 stretched a hose line into kitchen area and extinguished the fire. Ladder 4 made entry to the 2nd and 3rd floors to conduct primary searches.
Engine 1 and 8 along with Ladder 1 and Command Units 1 and 2 also responded to this incident.
The cause of the fire was investigated by the Fire Investigation Unit and determined to be unintentional. Three tenants from the second and third floor apartments were displaced. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries. Eversource Gas, Electric, and the Health Department provided assistance on scene.”