Southcoast Health announced today that the St. Luke’s Hospital Auxiliary awarded five $1,000 scholarships to area high school seniors entering college in the fall to pursue careers in healthcare.
• Sandra Allen, the auxiliary scholarship chair, presented the awards to:
• Samantha Landry, a graduate from Bishop Stang High School, who will enter the nursing program at Clemson University in Clemson, S.C.
• Courtney Carreiro. a graduate of Greater New Bedford Regional High School, who will enter the nursing program at University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth.
• Erin Tetrault, a graduate from Dartmouth High School, who will attend Lipscomb University in Nashville, T.N., to study Psychology and Behavioral Therapy.
• Isabella Freitas, a graduate from Dartmouth High School, who will enter the Pre-Dental program the University of New England in Biddeford M.E.
• Sharon Jacob, who graduated from Greater New Bedford Regional High School, who will attend Johnson and Wales University in Providence, R.I. entering the fast track Physician’s Assistant Program.
“Our applicants were all outstanding, multi-talented students and the selection process was very challenging,” said Allen. “We chose the best of the best!”.
The St. Luke’s Hospital Auxiliary is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to render services to St. Luke’s Hospital, its tax-exempt subsidiaries, and its patients and to assist in promoting health and welfare of the community. Members serve as ambassadors to the community on behalf of the hospital. St. Luke’s Hospital is located in New Bedford and is part of the Southcoast Health hospital system. For more information or to join, please call Anne Porter at 508-982-3130.
About Southcoast Health
Southcoast Health is a not-for-profit, charitable organization and the largest provider of primary and specialty care in the region, serving communities in Rhode Island and across Southeastern Massachusetts. Southcoast Health was named to Newsweek’s World’s Best Hospitals 2019 inaugural list.
Out of the 2,743 considered hospitals in the US, only 250 earned this recognition. Southcoast Hospitals Group ranked 162. With a network of more than 600 physicians, hospitalists and mid-level practitioners, Southcoast Health is comprised of three acute care hospitals — Charlton Memorial Hospital in Fall River, St. Luke’s Hospital in New Bedford, and Tobey Hospital in Wareham, and also provides behavioral health services in partnership with Acadia at Southcoast Behavioral Health in Dartmouth.
Southcoast Health’s seven Urgent Care Centers, two Centers for Cancer Care, visiting nurse association and numerous additional ambulatory facilities offer convenience and access to services for more than 724,000 residents in 33 communities covering over 900 square miles in Southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island. With more than 7,500 employees, Southcoast Health is the largest employer in Southeastern Mass., and the 18th largest employer in the Commonwealth according to the Boston Business Journal. Southcoast Health is proud of our mission of providing high-quality affordable healthcare to our patients and proud of our tradition of eliminating the barriers that prevent access to care. More information is available online at www.southcoast.org.
Connect to Southcoast Health through social media on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. Southcoast® is a registered trademark of Southcoast Health System.