The South Coast Hot Jobs List – 16 April, 2013
The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue.
Interested in any of the positions listed below, please contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
Here are the Hot Jobs as of April, 16th, 2013:
1. Cook/Part-Time #2203479 – Employer is looking to fill this position ASAP. This position requires a 2 week rotating schedule. Week 1 is Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Week 2 is Sunday, Wednesday and Friday. Serve Safe Certification is preferred, but NOT required. There is a 90 day probation period, after 90 days, you will receive a pay adjustment and are therefore eligible for benefits.
2. Sr. Programmer Analyst #2203382 – Acushnet Company, home to the leading brands in golf (Titleist and FootJoy) has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Programmer Analyst. In this position the incumbent will be responsible for facilitating organizational changes and promote continuous improvement by developing and maintaining business application software. Document project objectives and business REQUIREMENTS. Translate business requirements into functional and technical DESIGN specifications. DEVELOP software with business oriented programming languages and related software tools. Insure that application software is reliable by developing and executing TEST plans. Enhance quality of projects by developing and executing detail IMPLEMENTATION schedules. Promote organizational learning by developing DOCUMENTATION and providing TRAINING. Develop software ESTIMATES and maintain schedule of own project tasks. Support existing applications on a 24×7 basis as a member of an applications HELP DESK process.
3. Customer Service/Insurance #2190662 – Customer Service – Commercial and Residential lines – License a plus. Provide quotes for commercial and residential lines. Understanding of commercial insurance. Willing to train the right candidate.
4. Assistant Chef #2196031 – Candidate will work closely with Executive Chef and Sous Chef in a high volume setting. 7 years minimum experience preferred. 5 day work week. Must be able to lead and supervise a productive kitchen. Coast Guard regulated drug test is mandatory. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Forward resume to email@example.com or apply in person at Chartwells at Massachusetts Maritime Academy 101 Academy Drive, Buzzards Bay, and Mass 02532. Employment is with Chartwells not Mass Maritime Academy. Full benefits, competitive wages.
5. Seasonal Laborers #2190705 – Performs unskilled work and operates a variety of equipment relative to the department. Dig holes, trenches and other excavations; shovels materials and levels areas; loads/unloads supplies; cleans litter and debris from streets, parking lots; mows grass; trims shrubs and lower parts of trees; rakes leaves. Any related duties. This position is of a seasonal nature and can only work a maximum of five months. It is not entitled to benefits. The City of New Bedford has a Residency Requirement. APPLICATION DEADLINE APRIL 19TH.
6. General Office Position #2190663 – Looking to grow our office team. Seeking full time general office position, Monday – Friday. Duties include: maintaining a smile and positive attitude, answering phones, greeting visitors, data entry, filing, other general office duties, etc. Looking for someone who is reliable, highly motivated, efficient, organized and professional. Proficiency in Word, Excel and Publisher is a MUST.
7. Maintenance Worker #2208963 – May perform minor electrical duties such as replacing light bulbs, face plates, and switches. May work as a plumber in installing fittings and in opening clogged drains. Performs light repair, and maintenance of buildings, stairways, partitions, doors, wood fixtures and furniture. May operate hand saw and electric skill saw. Will maintain tools and machinery in good condition and use all tools carefully and as instructed.
Removal of trash from building. Available before and after hours to provide snow removal from around building, also removal of ice as needed. Ability to move furniture, boxes and equipment in the Health Center as needed. Clean glass; ensure Health Center is properly cleaned and maintained. Pick-up and/or deliver supplies from/to vendors etc. as needed. High school diploma or equivalent. Ability to understand and follow directions as assigned.
Experience in general repair. General knowledge of various types of equipment. Working knowledge of plumbing and electrical issues.
Ability to work with minimal supervision.
8. Marketing Intern #2208955 –
- Web savvy a MUST, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube
- Assist with SEO, PR, articles & events
- 16-24 hrs/wk paid internship
- Veterans and New Bedford Residents strongly encouraged to apply
9. Electricians #2208952 – Beaumont Solar in New Bedford is a leading Solar PV engineering, design, installation and system maintenance company with vertically integrated in-house staff. Solid, continued growth in our Massachusetts and Rhode Island markets has opened the following position:
- Electricians: MA and RI Licensed Electricians. Commercial utility experience is a must. Knowledge of solar PV and its components a plus
- Knowledge of all NEC, local and state codes, OSHA
- Ability to collaborate effectively with engineering and crew members
- Comfortable on roofs. Comfortable working outdoors in year round conditions
- Great team discipline and desire for career growth
- Veterans and New Bedford Residents strongly encouraged to apply.
10. Front Desk Agent #2209071 – Process guest arrivals and departures, including all necessary payments. Handle & coordinate room assignments and pre-arrivals. Handle guests’ concerns. Offer referral for services and handle requests for information. Handle and store luggage. Assist with the check-in and check-out of groups and tours. Assist other departments as required. Open availability, customer service experience (hotel experience preferred), computer literate, punctual. High School Diploma required.