The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue.
Interested in any of the positions listed below, please contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
Here are the Hot Jobs as of March, 19th, 2013:
1. Executive Administrative Assistant #2038585 – Experienced assistant needed for a local established employer. This position will require excellent phone and communication skills, strong customer service background and computer literate. Must be proficient in spreadsheet software – Microsoft Excel and Quickbooks. The selected candidate must be able to “think on their feet and work closely with management and owners. This is a full time position and work schedule will be discussed at time of interview.
2. PCA #2038548 – Looking for an experienced PCA to work Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 6:30 PM to 10:30 PM, as well as Saturday from 6:30 PM to 11:00 PM and Sunday from 5:30 PM to 11:00 PM. Qualified candidates must have a driver’s license and transportation, speak English and present a resume with references. But first they have to call 508-999-6858 for an appointment.
3. Receptionist #2047314 – The Receptionist handles customer inquiries both in person and on the phone, and provides information and assistance to staff and public according to established procedures. This position is also responsible for computer support, mailing, and other clerical duties to support the other staff members in a busy office environment. This position requires a professional demeanor and an orientation towards customer service.
Essential Functions: Answers, screens, and directs incoming calls; takes messages; places outgoing calls and arranges conference calls.
4. Laborer #2055255 – Fills hopper with insulation. Keeps trucks clean and organized. Helps setup and breakdown the job. Lays out ground protection and drop clothes. Prepares tools and materials for crew. Assists crew with basic tasks. Must be fluent in English. Background checks and CORI will be required.
5. Weatherization Technician #2055257 – Entry level weatherization worker, can handle majority of tasks including air-sealing and dense-packing. Must be fluent in English. Must have transportation. Background check and CORI will be required.
6. Weatherization Installer #2055259 – Has completed weatherization boot camp for air-sealing and insulation: Has carpentry skills to perform all scope duties including installing roof vents, building thermodomes and whole house fans, weather-stripping doors, removing & reinstalling siding, drilling and plugging holes, dense packing, air sealing, etc. Must have transportation. Must be fluent in English.
CORI and background check will be required.
7. Crew Leader #2055260 – Boot camp certified: Crew chiefs top worker: In charge of job if crew chiefs leaves for getting stock. Assists crew chief with distributing and monitoring other workers. Also responsible for quality control. Can perform blower door tests. Must be fluent in English. Must have transportation. CORI and background check will be required.
8. Crew Chief #2055261 – Working foreman: In charge of running a crew of 3-6 men. Responsible for safety and qualify control. Communicates with homeowners and office regarding issues and scope changes. CST course certified for combustion safety testing. Must have transportation.
Must be fluent in English. CORI and background check required.