6. Old Third District Courthouse, 1853
The Old Third District Courthouse, located on the corner of Second and William streets was another Greek Revival style building, albeit without the columns that Warren seemed so fond of. While everyone knows this building as the New Bedford Whaling National Historic Park building or “the Visitor’s Building”, it was originally the New Bedford Institution for Savings or NBIS. When whaling busted, and textiles replaced it, the bank relocated further downtown in a larger facility. The Bristol County Courts then moved in and to this day the pediment states “THIRD DISTRICT COV[U]RT OF BRISTOL.” As the population grew, so didn’t the criminal element and the building was simply too small. The courts relocated in 1896, and the building then went through a variety of incarnations including an auto parts store and an antique dealership. In 1995 Fleet bank and WHALE came along and did their wonderful thing in renovating the building before turning it over to the National Park Service.
7. William R. Rodman Mansion
Located at 388 County Street, the William R. Rodman Mansion or “Rodman House” was built in the Greek Revival style that Warren loved. Of course, it had the his favored Doric columns as well. It was designed for aristocrat, bank president, William Rotch Rodman and was considered “the most stately mansion in New Bedford” in its day. Indeed, it was considered one of the most expensive homes in America in the 1830s. When Rodman passed away in 1855, the mansion passed from one famous family after another, beginning with New Bedford’s first mayor Abraham Howland. For a number of years it passed from Howland, to Grinnell, to mill mogul Joseph Knowles who built an addition onto it in 1909, then to John Gael Hathaway. Self-made millionaire, and owner of Dartmouth Mills, Walter Hamer Langshaw purchased the house and spent years renovating and building additions, including an organ loft, mosaic floor, Georgian plaster-work, and a facade solarium. In the 1950s it became the New Bedford Jewish Federation’s community center. In 1972 it went to the Swain School of Design, and finally its last owner William Rodman Partnership in 1988.