2. First Unitarian Church, 1838
The First Unitarian Church on 71 8th Street was a joint effort between architects Russell Warren and Alexander Jackson Davis and physically built by the brothers William and Seth Ingalls, for the low, low price of $40,000. Russell’s official title in the project was as a building supervisor. Warren was the first to submit designs for the first year, but eventually Davis came aboard and it said his influence on the fortress like church is more in line with his work, for example the Athenaeum in Hartford, Connecticut and Lyndhurst, New York. It was built in the Norman Gothic style or Early Gothic Revival style depending on who you ask and required 7,000 tons of granite. The church itself was established in 1708 in “Olde” Dartmouth, before making its way to the corner of Purchase and William Street in 1824 as the First Congregational Society of New Bedford. In 1868 a chapel was attached to the church which served as a meeting house and Sunday school. In 1874, she underwent some major renovations. In 1896, the Parish House was built in the rear. The Whaling Museum currently possesses original plans.
3. Joseph Grinnell Mansion, 1830
The Grinnell Mansion as it is colloquially known, was built for business man and Congressman Joseph Grinnell. The Greek Revival style building at at 379 County Street was built in 1830, and features the Doric columns that are seen on the Double Bank Building. These columns were destroyed in a fire, but eventually replaced. A third floor was added by an heir in 1893. Interestingly, the outer sheating was cut from the same quarry that Boston’s Bunker Hill Monument was built from. Grinnell at one time used the mansion to host former President John Quincy Adams in September of 1843. While he began in the seafood business, he was the pivotal to New Bedford building its first cotton cloth-manufacturing complex, the Wamsutta Mill. WHALE came on the scene in 1987 and renovated the deteriorating building, which had been completely abandoned for three decades. Today it is the Congregate Home for the Elderly.