The following is an opinion sent to New Bedford Guide. It does not reflect the opinion of New Bedford Guide, nor is it an OP-ED. In fairness and objectivity, we share opinions from our readers whether we agree or disagree with their opinion.
“New Bedford Residents, please read:
New Bedford’s Mayor and councilors are showing no value to their employees of the city. The city councilors that New Bedford residents elect to gain your confidence are letting the Mayor do what he’s doing to your city servants and police.
What is he really doing with your tax dollars is the question. If the Mayor isn’t helping keep these positions filled, the city employees with the police are applying for jobs and obtaining them in surrounding towns and cities for a better wage. What is this telling the New Bedford residents? Wake up, people! This is your city.
The City of New Bedford has over 60 positions available because the City doesn’t provide a fair and competitive wage. The numbers are rising!! Residents have to start asking where your your tax dollars are going!
It’s happening with your safety and your public servants! What are the city councilors that you elected doing for you???
Your city workers are:
• Building custodians that clean your city buildings
• Mechanics that maintain city vehicles, fire, police,Ems, sanders & plows, all city vehicles
• Electricians, plumbers, carpenters that take care of your buildings, lights and plumbing issues.
• Welders that take care of all equipment to run the city
• Dispatchers that watch over your safety & police & Ems
• Animal control that take care of the city with wildlife
• Airport staff that takes care of the airport
• Various positions at your water dept that takes part of your water & sewer issues, to maintaining your city streets
• Zoo dept that takes care of your public zoo
• Building inspectors that inspect your buildings for codes
• Sanitarians that look over your city to make sure your health is important
• Numerous positions in every office throughout the city that takes care of entering all work of everyone, to billing all vendors for all this work being done on a Daily Basis.
• Parking enforcement to make sure everyone is following parking issues
All these positions that are a big part of the city, a lot of the people don’t know are out there. Positions the people pay for. This city needs a fair wage and your Mayor and councilors are holding back your money and holding back your services that the city is supposed to be providing you, the people of New Bedford.
The numbers are rising
It’s on the AFSME Greater New Bedford Page. Please help us to get this out to all who read your page. This page is a great resource for the people of New Bedford and we hope to have your support! 0Robert Vicente.”-AFSME LOCAL 851.