The New Bedford Career Center is hosting their Spring Career Fair on Tuesday, May 20th from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Veterans have preference from 9-9:30 a.m. The New Bedford Career Center is located at 618 Acushnet Ave in New Bedford.
All questions should be directed to 508-990-4000. Here are some tips for preparing for a job fair:
BEFORE YOU GO:
• Know which employers are attending.
See the career fair / job fair list that links to each event web site.
• Do enough research to make “A” &”B” lists of employers to meet.
• Have plenty of copies of your resume ready. You might need to prepare more than one version.
• Be prepared that some employers cannot accept hard copy resumes and will ask you to apply online. This is to comply with federal regulations about the way employers keep data on applicants, and to manage applicant data efficiently.
• Prepare a 20 to 30 second introduction to use with employers
• Prepare questions in advance:
Employers want employees who are proactive, thoughtful, and listen well. Make yourself stand out with smart questions
• Know the dress code. Each fair has its own styles and traditions. Some are business casual; some suggest or require interview attire.
AT THE CAREER/JOB FAIR:
• Watch your manners and mannerisms
• Handshakes are critical. Have a good handshake and make good eye contact
• Be clear and engaging when you speak.
• Don’t be misled into thinking of the fair as a social event
• Carry a simple padfolio to keep your resumes organized and ready
• Have an open mind