A citywide snow emergency parking ban will be in effect in New Bedford as of 5:00pm tonight, Wednesday, January 26, 2011. This parking ban will remain in effect for 48-hours thereafter, unless further extended by city officials. The ban is designed to allow the City workers to remove the snow more efficiently and to provide clear and safe roadways for public safety vehicles.
The public is advised that while the snow emergency parking ban is in effect, parking is permitted on the side of the street that is opposite the fire hydrants. No vehicle should be parked on the same side of the street as a fire hydrant except on streets that are regularly posted for parking on one side of the street only. In posted areas, residents are to obey the signs as usual.
A double sided parking ban will also take effect in both the Acushnet Avenue Business District and the Downtown Business District at 12:00am (midnight) tonight. This double sided parking ban will be lifted as soon as the Business Districts have been cleared. Downtown parking is available at no charge in the Elm Street and the Zeiterion Parking Garages.
Violations of this parking regulation will be subject to ticketing at $50 per ticket and towing at full cost to the owner of the vehicle towed. The vehicle owner is also responsible for the full cost of storage for any towed vehicle.
The following areas have been designated as preferred “parking areas” for those residents in need of off-street parking while the emergency snow parking ban is in effect:
- Victory Park – Brock Avenue
- Hazelwood Park – Brock Avenue
- Roosevelt Middle School – Brock Avenue and Dennis Street
- Cove Street Parking Lot – Cove Street and Morton Court
- Orchard Street at Shaw’s Soccer Field
- Congdon School – Thompson and Hemlock Street
- Buttonwood Park Parking Area – Hawthorn Street Side and Lake Street Side
- Coggeshall Street Parking Lot – Coggeshall Street and Acushnet Avenue
- Sawyer Street Parking Lot – Between Sawyer Street and Beetle Street
- Brooklawn Park Parking Area – Brooklawn Street (South Side)
- Normandin Middle School – Tarkiln Hill Road
- Jireh Swift School – Tarkiln Hill Road
- Campbell School – Phillips Road
- Ottiwell School – 26 Madeira Avenue
- Dunbar School – 338 Dartmouth Street
- Philips Avenue School – 249 Phillips Avenue
The Mayor’s Office will provide updates on the snow emergency parking ban as the track of the pending storm becomes more evident.