New Bedford New Year’s Eve 2012
The free New Year’s Eve Celebration in New Bedford includes programming from 4:30 to 9:00 p.m. — but attendees are invited to arrive early and stay late! A celebratory fireworks display is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. in Custom House Square. Bristol County Savings Bank and Southcoast Health System will sponsor New Bedford’s City Celebrates New Year’s Eve 2012.
Free programming from 4:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. includes:
- At 4:30 p.m., the New Year’s Eve celebration begins at City Hall with greetings from Mayor Jon Mitchell, and performances by Miss New Bedford, the Showstoppers, and the steel drum ensemble from UMASS Dartmouth.
- Make hats with Artworks! from 2-4 p.m. or bring your own for the hat contest at City Hall.
- The Seaman’s Bethel hosts a New Year’s Eve Community Service at 5 p.m.
- Fireworks at Custom House Square at 8:30 pm
- Toe Jam Puppet Band at the YMCA
- Stace your Face face-painting at the YMCA
- Fire-eaters around town
- Street performers on William Street – jugglers
- Ice sculpting at Custom House Square
- Hands-on activities for kids at Artworks! and the New Bedford Art Museum and the National Park with the 19th Century Ladies
- Storytelling at the NB Public Library and Artworks!
- NB High School Drama Club at the Library
- Jedlie’s Magic Show at BCC
- Aerial acts at Nativy Prep School, living statues
- Jazz from Whaling City at the NB Whaling Museum Theater and New Bedford Art Museum
- Celtic music at the Celtic Coffee House and the Seamen’s Bethel
- Classical and jazz music on the baby grand piano at the Star Store
- Folk Music at Cafe Arpeggio
- O’Tooles house band at 767
- DJ Bands in Wings Court
In addition to all of these great free events, downtown’s museums, art galleries and unique boutique shops will be open all day and will stay open late for the New Year’s celebration. Visitors can park at Elm Street garage; the City of New Bedford trolley bus will pick up visitors at the garage and shuttle them between venues from 4 to 8pm. On street parking is available for free after 6 p.m.