A motor vehicle stop at about 6:15 p.m. yesterday in Fall River led to the arrest of two men for firearms and drug charges.
Members of the Troop D Community Action Team pulled over a 2015 Dodge Charger on Brook Street at Bullard Street in New Bedford for having an expired inspection sticker. When the troopers approached the vehicle, they observed the operator, TYRELL SANCHEZ, 25, of Plymouth, and his passenger, MIGUEL CORTEZ, 22, of New Bedford, engaging in furtive movements which caused the troopers to be concerned for their safety.
The troopers immediately removed SANCHEZ and CORTEZ from the vehicle and, upon further investigation, located quantities of substances believed to be fentanyl, crack cocaine, and marijuana, as well as more than $1,800.00 in cash located on their persons. Troopers additionally located a Glock, 9mm handgun with a 17 round magazine, loaded with 15 rounds of hollow-point ammunition located in the vehicle.
SANCHEZ and CORTEZ were placed under arrest and charged with the following:
• Conspiracy to violate drug laws
• Carrying a loaded firearm
• Possession of a large capacity weapon or feeding device
• Possession of a large capacity firearm in the commission of a felony
SANCHEZ was additionally charged with the following:
• Unlawful possession of a firearm
• Possession of a firearm without an FID card
• Possession of ammunition without an FID card
• Trafficking in fentanyl
• Possession with intent to distribute a Class B substance
• Expired inspection sticker
CORTEZ was additionally charged with the following:
• Unlawful possession of a firearm, 2nd offense
• Firearm violation with three prior violent/drug crimes
• Unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition without an FID card, subsequent offense
• Possession with intent to distribute a Class D drug
Both men were transported to the Ash Street Jail in New Bedford pending bail and/or arraignment in New Bedford District Court.