After the 2010 Census, Massachusetts will lose the 10th Congressional District due to our state’s low population growth. This forced the district maps to be redrawn. In 2013, New Bedford will be represented in the Massachusetts’ 9th District that will include:
- All of Barnstable County, Dukes County, and Nantucket County.
- The following areas in Bristol County: New Bedford, Acushnet, Dartmouth, Fairhaven, Westport and much of Fall River.
- The following areas in Plymouth County: Carver, Duxbury, Halifax, Hanover, Hanson, Kingston, Marion, Marshfield, Mattapoisett, Middleborough, Norwell, Pembroke, Plymouth, Plympton, Rochester, Rockland, and Wareham.
Massachusetts 9th Congressional District Candidates
There are five candidates running for the 9th Congressional seat; two Democrats, two Republicans and one independent. Here is the Massachusetts’ 9th District candidate list with links to their websites and social media sites.
- William Keating: 10th Congressional District Incumbent. (Website – Facebook – Twitter)
- Sam Sutter: District Attorney for Bristol County. (Website – Facebook – Twitter)
- Christopher Sheldon – Business consultant. (Website – Facebook – Twitter)
- Adam Chaprales – (Website – Facebook – Twitter)
- Daniel Botelho – Senior Operations Analyst in the Global Financial Operations (GFO) group. (Website – Facebook – Twitter)
The state primaries, used to narrow down the field, will be held on September 6th, 2012 with the final election day on November 6th, 2012.
Here is a basic timeline for voters:
- August 17th – Last day to register to vote and to change party enrollment for the State Primaries.
- September 6th – State Primary Elections.
- November 6th – State Elections.
A more details timeline can be found here.