The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Here are the Hot Jobs as of January, 3rd, 2012.
Interested in any of the positions listed below, please contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
1. Telephone Operator #1677245 – Local transportation company is looking for a phone operator. Must have good phone manners, computer skills in data entry, and be able to multi-task in a fast paced office.
2. Transportation Shuttle Driver #1677310 – Transportation Services at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth is looking for responsible people to drive 14 passenger University shuttles. The main task is to transport passengers, guest, students, and employees on campus and off campus to special events, satellite locations and community service locations. Must have experience with 14- passenger shuttles and vans.
Transportation Services is currently hiring for (2) shifts.
Monday thru Friday. This will be a 5 to 6 hour shift. The time frame will range between 5:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. The shift time will be finalized at the time of hiring.
3. Senior Account Clerk #1677335 – Maintenance of specialized clerical work related to department accounts and responsibility of more difficult phases of account maintenance work. Applies moderate to complex accounting principles in regard to balancing all accounts on the City’s general ledger. Reconciles bank statements to the City’s general ledger. Maintains financial accounts and records in general. Summarizes expenditures and balances for department. Prepares payroll for department. Maintains records and other payroll liabilities. Makes general ledger entries to correct accounts. Accounts for receipt and disbursement of cash transactions and cash accounts. Processes and verifies accuracy of all department accounts. Prepares warrants and purchase orders. Performs all clerical duties. Handles telephone inquiries. Maintains filing system. Graduation for a high school or GED equivalent with specialized course work in general office, and two years of increasingly responsible related experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
4. Cook #1678379 – Cook Breakfast/Lunch – Experience a must. Hours range from 20 to 40 hours per week.
5. Warehouse Selectors #1678367 – IMMEDIATE NEED–Full time positions open for Warehouse Selectors, must be able to work ALL THREE SHIFTS including weekends. Must have a solid work history and experience working in a warehouse. This is a very physical and demanding job consisting of heavy lifting. Job consists of picking groceries or produce products from pick slots, stacking pallets and loading trailers. Must be able to lift up to 100lbs. repeatedly, operate mobile equipment walk or stand on concrete for several hours per day and working varying temperatures down to 34 degrees. Must be able to pass three employment tests: drug test, physical, and lifting abilities.
FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION: Please apply in person at the Greater New Bedford Career Center ONLY. Do not call the career center or Stop & Shop Warehouse. Apply at:
618 Acushnet Ave, New Bedford, Ma. 02740. Qualified candidates will be prescreened, and scheduled for an interview within a few days of applying.
6. Driver’s Education Teacher #1681223 – Professional driving school looking for a driver’s education teacher. Fun, easy, rewarding and flexible hours. Perfect part time job. Must be able to pass a CORI check.
7. Driving Instructor #1681230 – Professional driving school looking for a driving instructor. Fun, easy, rewarding, and flexible hours. Perfect part time job. Driving instructor’s license preferred, but not required. Must be able to pass a CORI check.
8. Crew Members #1684348 – Tropical Smoothie Café is pleased to announce a new Café in Fairhaven. They offer a refreshing variety of eat-better, fell-better food & real-fruit smoothies. Currently, they are hiring 30 friendly, motivated, reliable part time Crew Members. Positions are 15 to 28 hrs per week for days, nights and weekends. Prior customer service or restaurant, hospitality and TROPITUDE experience helpful. Share the Tropical Experience and become part of an upbeat friendly atmosphere and team. Applications are available at the Greater New Bedford Career Center or Tropical Smoothie Café, 29 Alden Road, Fairhaven.