The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Here are the Hot Jobs as of November 14th, 2012:
1. Call Center Reps #1623713 – Customer service representatives needed in New Bedford and Fall River. High call volume experience. Excellent phone skill and manners with customers. Fast paced, proficient data entry. Must have call center experience. High School. Word and data entry.
The ideal candidate will play a role in developing, supporting, trouble-shooting, and maintaining new and existing applications. This individual must have a passion for excellence in his/her work and be highly organized and detail oriented. They must also be able to work effectively with other developers of the IT Team.
Two plus years work experience working in a object-oriented development Server environment. Familiarity with XML and XSLT, web services. Must demonstrate the ability to learn new skills quickly and independently. Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks and projects.
Ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing, in a clear, concise and professional manner. Ability to translate business requirements into technical specifications and to communicate technical issues in non-technical language understood by the business. A high degree of motivation and enthusiasm. Ability to work effectively in-group situations. Must be a team player. Prior experience with manufacturing systems is a strong plus.
3. RN/Case Manager#1623599 – This company has immediate openings in New Bedford and surrounding areas. This is an excellent opening to work for a growing company. We provide skilled nursing visits to home based clients with mental health disorders. Ideal candidate will have home care and psych experience, good communication skills, strong organizational skills as well as the ability to deal with difficult situations. Monday through Friday, no weekends of holidays. RN license, CPR certified, MA drivers license/registration/insurance on a reliable vehicle.
4. Sign Custom Metal Fabricators #1624724 – Award winning sign company seeking custom metal fabricators. Must have operational experience with Brake & Shear Equipment, MIG Welding (aluminum), and ability to read shop drawings. Competitive pay and benefits. Commitment to quality and efficient production with position attitude. Full capabilities of all power tools. Panel saws, brakes, welders a plus. Understand measuring, bolting, hoisting, use of drills. Auto CAD a plus. Knowledge of UL Electrical requirements. Ballast, transformers, LEDs, neon, lamps and wiring strongly preferred
5. Fishing Vessel Deckhand #1624752 – Job entails preparation of trawler for fishing activities: putting nets into water and retrieving them, sorting, preserving and offloading of catch. Assisting captain and riggers as needed. This job order is being filled in support of a future H2B application. Contract length: 03/01/2013 – 12/31/2013
6. Field Representatives – JO# 1624765 – The United States Census Bureau is hiring Field Representatives for the local area. The testing and interviewing will be conducted at the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Ave, New Bedford, MA.
7. Tax Return Preparer #1627133 – Tax return preparer for upcoming 2013 tax season. Potential for longer term. Experience preparing tax returns required and experience with ProSystem Fx software as well as other tax software is a plus.