The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Here are the Hot Jobs as of December 26th, 2012:
1. Machine Operators #1659006 – Reliable, responsible individuals needed to operate textile machines from start up to shut down. Must be able to read and understand directions. Some lifting required. Experienced preferred. Lots of overtime available. Mechanical background helpful. Interested applicants can complete a generic application at the Greater New Bedford Career Center.
2. Staff Planner #1659025 – Manages, initiates and coordinates the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) and the permitting process for the City. Responsible for the review and analysis of applications submitted to the Planning Board and ZBA for completeness and conformance with the City Code requirements.
3. Job Specialist #1661426 – New Directions Southcoast is seeking two skilled part-time Job Specialists to develop employment opportunities for customers that are consistent with vocational goals and enhancement trainings. The positions are temporary and grant-funded starting January 2013 to June 30, 2013. To perform the job successfully, the applicant must have strong communication skills.
* Conducts job development and job search activities directed toward positions that are related to the objectives of specific training courses.
* Assist customers to obtain and maintain competitive employment that is consistent with their training.
* Reviews job orders and matches applicants with job requirements.
* Conducts employer contacts regularly to learn about local businesses and employer needs, to talk about specific clients who are looking for work.
* Inputs data into database to reflect customer progress.
* Review job seekers resume for proper format and content. Assist customers to improve and customize their resume based on positions they are applying for.
* Performs other duties as required.
4. CNC Lathe Machinist #1661440 – Local manufacturer looking for a strong CNC Lathe Machinist to Program, Set-up and Operate. The ideal candidate MUST have a minimum of 5-7 years experience. Experience working within a medical manufacturing environment is preferred. Must be able to machine parts per drawing specifications and written instructions. 1st shift (7-3:30) and 2nd shift available, flexible and willing to learn, working a fast paced, team oriented lean manufacturing environment. Immediate opening.
5. Revenue Clerk (Part-time) #1656595 – First Transit is looking for a Revenue Clerk (part-time) to be responsible for counting company’s revenue. Collects and counts fixed route and demand response revenue for local transit authority for two locations. Selected candidate will be responsible for the daily delivery of cash reports to the Finance Office and for completing all bank depository documents along with the transporting of cash from money room to vault.
Qualified candidates must have a high school diploma, or equivalent. Previous money handling experience preferred. Adding machine and currency and coin counting machine skills helpful.
6. Day Care Teacher #1661425 – Temp to possible perm position. The qualified candidate will work with a toddler/preschool group. Expectations include: excellent attendance, a nurturing attitude, knowledge of creative curriculum, knowledge of age-appropriate development, and must be energetic and motivated.
Special Skills Needed: Must be certified as an I/T teacher through DEEC.
7. Food Service Worker #1665616 – 2nd shift position. Grill cook/ cashier position.