The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Here are the Hot Jobs as of December 17th, 2012:
1. Sanitary Inspector #1655114 – FUNCTION: Minimizes environmental health and sanitation problems, and continues to decrease the rodent and vermin population within the community by law enforcement and education.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Conducts inspections throughout the City to ensure compliance with State Sanitary Codes and numerous other State and local regulations, Issues Violation Notices to achieve compliance with health codes. When Initiates litigation against parties who fail to comply with departmental notices. Assists with performing inspections of eating and drinking establishments or dwellings used for human habitation to ensure compliance with laws and regulations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Valid Massachusetts driver’s license or ability to obtain one at the time of appointment. Mandatory CORI (Criminal Offender Record Investigation) background check.
3. Data Entry Clerk #1656587 – Maintains department accounts and payroll. Provides clerical support. Applies basic accounting principles in maintaining financial accounts and records; may be required to prepare payroll and maintain personnel records; makes general ledger entries; accounts for receipt and disbursement of cash transactions and cash accounts; reconciles cash books. Enter all information and data required by computer programs. Performs clerical work of ordinary difficulty. APPLICATION DEADLINE IS 12/21/12.
4. Account Clerk #1656586 – Maintains department accounts and payroll. Provides clerical support. Applies basic accounting principles in maintaining financial accounts and records; may be required to prepare payroll and maintain personnel records; makes general ledger entries; accounts for receipt and disbursement of cash transactions and cash accounts; reconciles cash books; operates adding machines, computers; answers telephones; and operates simple calculators in connection with this work, Performs clerical work of ordinary difficulty.
APPLICATION DEADLINE 12/21/12
5. Revenue Clerk (Part-time) #1656595 – First Transit is looking for a Revenue Clerk (part-time) to be responsible for counting company’s revenue. Collects and counts fixed route and demand response revenue for local transit authority for two locations. Selected candidate will be responsible for the daily delivery of cash reports to the Finance office and for completing all bank depository documents along with the transporting of cash from money room to vault.
Qualified candidates must have a high school diploma, or equivalent. Previous money handling experience preferred. Adding machine and currency and coin counting machine skills helpful.
6. Switchboard Operator #1656631 – Answers telephone and route calls promptly, determines the priority of each call based on the callers request, take messages for staff as needed, notifies supervisor when need arises to vary office hours so a substitute can be arranged, calls answering service each morning for messages, notifies appointments staff of any canceled appointments by patients, responsible for overhead paging within the Health Center. 2-4 years experience as a receptionist in a relevant field. Computer literate. High School diploma or equivalent. Minimum one year of technical training in relevant field. Strong verbal, organizational and interpersonal skills. Bilingual in Spanish/Portuguese preferred. Ability to work weekends, evenings, and occasional holiday hours.