The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) and pulling jobs from our jobs database to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Be sure to also check out our Job Portal to find jobs by location on a map: https://www.newbedfordguide.com/map-page#pm_jobs_tab. Want to get e-mail notifications for new jobs? Checkout our e-mail subscription service.
If there is not a link to applying for one of the jobs listed, contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
Here are the Hot Jobs from the Greater New Bedford Career Center as of Aug, 9th, 2013:
1. Assistant PreSchool Toddler Teacher #2823011 – The Gleason Family YMCA in Wareham, a division of YMCA Southcoast, is looking for qualified individuals that are looking to enrich our preschool/toddler program located in Marion!
Must be 18+ and have previous experience in a licensed child care program.
Flexibility in this position is a MUST!
2. Welcome Center Associate #2823015 – This is a part time, entry level position. Flexibility is a must! Hours & shifts vary during operating hours M-F 6am-8pm, Sat 8am-3pm & Sun 11am to 3pm.
This welcome center position will represent the YMCA personally, professionally and in a manner in accordance with the mission and goals of the YMCA. Responsibilities include; collecting daily passes, membership and program sales, answering a multi-line phone system, providing all membership and program information, knowing policies and procedures as well as implementing them. Qualified candidates must be organized, flexible, creative and possess excellent public relations skills. Customer Service experience & computer skills, including Microsoft Office are a must. Bilingual in Spanish or Portuguese is a plus.
3. Head Start Food Assistant #2823033 – High School diploma or GED, ServSafe Certified preferred. Minimum of one (1) year experience in the food service field required. Good working knowledge of nutrition principles helpful with experience in large quantity cooking preferred. Occasional travel for work related meetings and trainings. Driver’s license required.
4. Cook #2823056 – Tia Maria’s European Café is coming to Downtown New Bedford. They are scheduled to open soon and are hiring a cook. The cook prepares breakfast/lunch served from the kitchen. Single-entree meals include, but are not limited to, scrambled eggs, omelets, along with side meats and breakfast breads. Preparation of quick breads such as muffins may also be required.
The job requires the creation of premium quality products from the basic ingredients, without dependence on pre-made, commercial mixes.
Demonstrated ability with volume production, portion control, plating/garnishing, and time/space management are necessary.
This position is appropriate for someone who has demonstrated ability to mentor and guide others in a team-oriented environment and to receive supervision and mentoring. Ability to prepare breakfast & lunch meals with previous restaurant experience (minimum 1 year.) Responsible for overall kitchen organization and cleanliness during shift. Must be able to effectively communicate with Cafe manager. Demonstrate ability to handle high volume production & portion control. A solid educational and/or experiential background in food preparation is necessary and at least 1 year cooking experience is required. Fluent in English & Portuguese preferred.
5. Counter Server #2823057 – Tia Maria’s European Café is hiring a Counter Server. Duties and responsibilities include but not limited to; honoring each and every customer by providing excellent customer service. The server will be responsible for education customers about specialty house coffees and menu. Must display a positive attitude at all time to ensure the return of the customer. Must be fluent in English and Portuguese preferred,. High School Diploma is required and 1 year experience in the food industry (restaurant/cafe), computer skills and POS register skills are also needed. Must be reliable and dependable. Selected candidate must have a driver’s license or live within walking distance.
6. Order Fulfillment Associate #2832873 -Responsibilities:
- Opening new accounts
- Order processing/follow up
- Retail Analysis
- Planogram Analysis
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs, specifically in Excel
- Must be able to effectively communication with staff, sales representatives, accounts, and management, both in person and via telephone
- Must be detail oriented
- Minimum of one year experience in a Customer Service, Data Entry, or Merchandising environment.
7. CDL Driver #2832947 – Looking for CDL driver who is able to relate to small children. Split shift 5:45 am to 9:30 am then 2:30 pm to 5:45 pm.
8. Residential Instructor #2836440 – Assisting and teaching developmentally delayed individual’s independent life skills including house maintenance, cooking, cleaning, personal hygiene, vehicle maintenance, community involvement, data collection and documentation and implementation of ISP goals. Approved driving record and use of personal vehicle, demonstrated experience with successful implementation of behavior programs, demonstrate ability to interact with and motivate individuals with limited verbal ability, knowledge of Autism, ability to follow behavior plans, commitment to community inclusion, ability to work with challenging behaviors, valid driver’s license, drug test and CORI required. MAP, CPR, First Aid. Full time, part time & per diem. Various days, hours & shifts available.
9. General Maintenance #2706380 – Must be mechanically inclined, able to read and write English, hard working and dependable. Physically able to lift. Must have a valid driver’s license. Also, MUST have high school diploma. Will train qualified candidate.
Here are some jobs in the New Bedford area from the NewBedfordGuide.com jobs database:
1. Director of Youth Services – NorthStar Learning Centers. Full details and application process here.
2. Math Teacher – Middle & High School – New Bedford Public Schools. Full details and application process here.
3. Assistant Manager – AT&T – Full details and application process here.
4. Bike Technician – DICK’S Sporting Goods (Dartmouth). Full details and application process here.
5. Wendy’s Crew Member (Fairhaven). Full details and application process here.
6. Elementary Music Teacher – Fairhaven Public Schools. Full details and application process here.
Be sure to also check out our Job Portal to find jobs by location on a map: https://www.newbedfordguide.com/map-page#pm_jobs_tab. Want to get e-mail notifications for new jobs? Checkout our e-mail subscription service.