The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue.
Interested in any of the positions listed below, please contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
Here are the Hot Jobs as of April, 9th, 2013:
1. Maintenance/Housekeeping #2165926 – New Bedford Child & Family Services is currently looking to hire a Maintenance/Housekeeper for it’s new facility scheduled to open in May of 2013. Employer looking to fill position quickly. Interested applicant must have maintenance experience and be able to stand, lift, reach, bend carry up to 20 lbs. Some computer skills are also necessary along with good communication and able to take directions effectively.
2. Electrician & Electrical Apprentice #2165905 – Spark a new Career as an Electrical Apprentice! Wayne J. Griffin Electric, Inc., a leading electrical contractor with over 30 years of experience, is currently seeking Electrical Apprentices, and Licensed Electricians in the Southeastern MA area to work on high profile commercial/industrial projects. Must have a High School diploma or GED and a minimum of six (6) months of electrical and/or construction experience. TO APPLY: Please contact us at 800-421-0151 ext. 5339 or fax your resume to 508-429-2432.
3. Paving Laborer #2156831 – The position is for the 2013 Season. The P.J. Keating Company, one of the largest construction material producers and asphalt pavement contractors in New England and a leader in our industry. The territory covers Eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Paving Laborer Summary: Perform a wide range of duties while working within a Heavy Highway Construction environment to ensure the smooth operations of daily activities associated with Municipal and State projects:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Shoveling, raking, and tamping bituminous asphalt & gravel type materials. Operate various pieces of equipment such as: power broom, plate compactor, jack hammer, Drive various vehicles such as pickup truck and rack body.
Requirements/Minimum Qualifications: Process knowledge of basic tools and their uses. Knowledge and apply basic mathematical skills (adding, subtracting, division and multiplication). Able to comprehend and follow directions given by supervisor. Must have the ability to lift and move up to 50 pounds, Must be able to arrive and start work on time. Must be able to work variable hours including daytime, nighttime & some weekend hours and overtime. General Concrete forming knowledge. Knowledge of general layout and the ability to set grades. Must be or have the ability to become a member of LIUNA. Must have a valid driver’s license for the areas of company operations. Must have minimum 3 years of related industry experience.
4. Preschool Teacher #2144073 – Full Time Teacher needed for Pre-school/ Day Care in Freetown, MA. Must be Massachusetts certified, EEC. CORI background check and DSS background check will be required for this position. Candidate must also have had a recent physical within the past year and immune for MMR. Four day work week with flexible schedule to be determined at interview.
5. Quality Assurance Technician #2152087 – Responsible for inspecting the process and production lines to monitor and verify the manufacturing and labeling of a quality product that will meet legal and company requirements. The ideal candidate will possess good math and computer skills and a Bachelors degree with one (1) year in a manufacturing environment with quality assurance and auditing experience. Will be required to record and enter related information into data base. Will train right candidate. Math, Good written and Verbal Communication, Computer. Word, Excel Bachelor preferred.
6. Principal In Training #2156814 – High School Principal in Training for New Charter Public School Opening August, 2014. Charter Location: New Bedford, Massachusetts. Training Location During 13-14 school year: Boston, Massachusetts. City on a Hill Charter Public Schools seeks principal in training to open and lead City on a Hill New Bedford summer, 2014. The Principal in training will spend the 13-14 school year mentoring at City on a Hill schools in Boston to learn all systems and protocols. A part-time salaried position, the principal in training for New Bedford will support the process of hiring and opening of a new high school for August 2014. Principal in training will have full exposure to and become trained to know the following organizational categories: All school-based accountability plans and outcomes. Day-to-day operations of the school, as well as the personnel involved, including (but not limited to): assemblies, home room, athletics and extracurricular, the front office, summer school and freshman academy, classroom instruction, faculty meetings, discipline and culture, local community relations, parent and school council. Evaluation of all faculty and staff according to established calendar and protocol. The Network Curriculum and interim assessment system according to established standards, protocol, and calendar ensuring high quality is maintained, high student outcomes achieved, and state and federal programs are compliant. Student Recruitment and community outreach. Discipline, school safety, and school-wide culture building. School-level budget development process and practices.
Qualifications Required: Masters in Education, MA Teacher Certification, 5+ years of urban teaching and school leadership experience, extremely self-directed and organized, supervision and evaluation experience
Qualifications Preferred: MA Principal Certification, SEI endorsement, experience in school discipline.
7. Bookkeeper #2172778 – Part time bookkeeper needed for a Mini Storage facility. Previous bookkeeping experience and Quickbooks knowledge necessary. This is a part time position and hours are flexible.
8. Office Manager #2172779 – Local mini storage facility looking for an experienced office manager. Must have sales experience, microsoft office, data entry, Quickbooks. Must have exceptional customer service skills and personable.
9. Line Cook #2179337 – We are looking for an experienced individual who enjoys working in the restaurant industry. Our dishes are created with care and ingredients largely comprised of recipes made in house. If you would like to learn how we operate with specific instructions and share some of your own skills, please email your resume including your most recent work history and references. High School Diploma MA Food Handler’s Certificate; fluent English speaking; fryer, grill, saute and broiling experience. Hours Per Week:36-42
10. Laborer #2172799 – Laborer, experienced with hand tools. Will be installing and repairing in ground and above ground pools. Will be working with cement. High school diploma, must have valid driver’s license and own transportation, quick learner and follows directions easily.