The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) and pulling jobs from our jobs database to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Be sure to also check out our Job Portal to find jobs by location on a map: https://www.newbedfordguide.com/map-page#pm_jobs_tab. Want to get e-mail notifications for new jobs? Checkout our e-mail subscription service.
If there is not a link to applying for one of the jobs listed, contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
Here are the Hot Jobs from the Greater New Bedford Career Center as of February, 23rd, 2014:
1. Restaurant Supervisor (Part-Time) #3691684 – Part time position for a Restaurant Supervisor in North Dartmouth. This could lead to full time. You must be flexible and able to work nights and weekends. Must have had supervisory experience in a restaurant atmosphere. Pizza making experience would be helpful. Strong work ethic and customer service skills.
2. Executive Administrative Assistant #3691859 – Executive Assistant to President of a large Real Estate Company located in New Bedford and surrounding areas. Excellent Microsoft Office Skills are a MUST. You must be personable and have excellent customer service skills as you will be working directly with the President/CEO and his clientele. Hours (30) are Monday through Friday from 10:00am to 4:00pm.
3. Warehouse Workers #3702360 – Must have previous warehouse/light industrial work. Must have knowledge of a ruler. Openings are available on 1st and 2nd shifts. Employer is located in New Bedford.
4. Administrative Assistant #3702344 -Experienced in MS Word & Excel, data entry, great phone skills and customer service skills necessary. Must have at least three years’ experience.
5. Library Assistant I (temporary part-time) #3702378 – Assists in the daily operations of the Circulation Desk, monitors the borrowing of materials and performs related public service duties as required. Must be available some nights and Saturdays.
QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma or GED required. Two years of college or appropriate public library experience with an automated library system preferred. Individual must possess working knowledge of library principles, methods and procedures; good communication skills with the ability to deal tactfully with others; attentive to detail, good judgment, good physical condition, ability to type at least twenty words per minute. Contributes to the smooth operation of daily functions by completing assigned projects without ongoing supervision. Establishes and maintains harmonious working relationships with others. Ability to speak Portuguese desirable.
The City of New Bedford has a Residency Requirement. THIS IS A TEMPORARY POSITION!
6. Utility Person #3702457 – Perform basic assembly tasks such as cutting pins and braze, cleaning fixtures and defixturing. Perform basic metalizing task such as screen printing, hand-painting, injecting, scribing, and related support operations. Clips and racks part for plating operations, may tape or fixture mask parts, may use microscope, perform basic assembly tasks.Five years’ experience required.
7. Cook #3712363 – Cook Breakfast/Lunch – Experience a must. Hours range from 20 to 40 per week. Must be willing to work hard in a fast paced restaurant serving over 300 customer daily.
Here are some jobs in the New Bedford area from the NewBedfordGuide.com jobs database:
1. Dean of Citizenship – City on a Hill Charter School (New Bedford). Full details and application process here.
2. Food Service Director – Whaler’s Cove. Full details and application process here.
3. Store Manager – Family Dollar. Full details and application process here.
4. Restaurant Team Member – Chipotle Mexican Grill (Dartmouth). Full details and application process here.
5. Assistant Manager – First Citizens (Fairhaven). Full details and application process here.
6. Security Officer (Marion). Full details and application process here.
7. Baseball – Assistant Coach – Westport High School. Full details and application process here.
Be sure to also check out our Job Portal to find jobs by location on a map: https://www.newbedfordguide.com/map-page#pm_jobs_tab. Want to get e-mail notifications for new jobs? Checkout our e-mail subscription service.