The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) and pulling jobs from our jobs database to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Be sure to also check out our Job Portal to find jobs by location on a map: https://www.newbedfordguide.com/map-page#pm_jobs_tab. Want to get e-mail notifications for new jobs? Checkout our e-mail subscription service.
If there is not a link to applying for one of the jobs listed, contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
Here are the Hot Jobs from the Greater New Bedford Career Center as of Aug, 22nd, 2013:
1. Clerk #2888465 – 16 – 20 hours per week. Must be flexible and available Monday through Friday from 10:00am to 6:00pm and on Saturdays from 8:00am to 4:00pm. Seeking a person that lives within 8 miles of the store, has reliable transportation, computer savvy, good people skills, ability to serve walk in customers.
Greet customers that walk in to ship items, prepare UPS, FedEx, DHL & US postage shipping labels, process the order (all computer generated)
- Be capable of packing items brought in to be shipped
- Sell Boxes and packing materials
- Be able to lift 30 lbs without injury to themselves
- Be responsible to open and or close the store
- Be responsible to handle cash drawer
2. Cashier #2892514 – Responsible for providing excellent customer service, efficiently and accurately completing sales and service transactions at the cash wraps, as well as handle customer issues that may arise on the sales floor.
3. Softlines Merchandiser #2892519 – Provides World Class Member Service by surprising and delighting our members every day. Ensures basic and seasonal replenishment and merchandising and operational programs are established and maintained to improve sales and profitability in one or more department(s). Works in conjunction with the Department Lead in maintaining merchandise assortments and pricing integrity. Ensures customer care and selling are #1 priority. Knows the store, services and location of merchandise. Tours area of responsibility and maintains visual appearance of department.
4. Systems Analyst #2900438 – Responsible for the installation, operation, and support of all City computer systems, networking equipment, training manuals, software, etc. This position is also responsible for the ongoing training and support of City employees in the use of computer equipment, software and peripherals.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in computer science, computer engineering, information systems, geographic information systems, or a related field.
- Minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in the computer field ideally with a concentration in end-user support, program development, geographic information systems, financial management systems, network administration and support, and world- wide web page development. The City of New Bedford has a Residency Requirement.
5. Receptionist (part time) #2913654 – This person will be an integral part of a team concept. The Center serves diverse families from our community. Qualifications include basic knowledge of office procedures, computer knowledge, strong customer service skills, basic knowledge or a willingness to learn about community resources and referrals, high school graduate, and bilingual speaker highly desired.
- Handle incoming calls for the Family Center; Greet families coming in to the Family Center; Help and guide families on the community computers; Provide community resources and referrals when needed
- Assist in translating information to bi-lingual families; Basic filing, copying, and faxing for the Family Center; Keep an updated calendar of appointments for the FC conference room; Keep an inventory of supplies needed for the Family Center; Keep track and file encounter forms for the center
- Keep track and file the basic information sheet; Have visitors sign in on the log sheet; Monitor usage of community computers; Distribute print outs from the community computers; Look up internet research request for families in the center; Update the family database
- Qualifications: Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to individuals whose value systems and behaviors may differ from workers. Demonstrate good computer skills. Demonstrate good writing skills. Demonstrate excellent organizational skills. Possess and maintain valid Massachusetts drivers license and access to a vehicle. Education and Experience: High school diploma or equivalent. Experience in social work environment desired. Multi-lingual Spanish, Portuguese and or Cape Verdean Crioulo highly desired
- Computer Skills: word, excel.
6. Administrative Assistant #2913652 – Primary Duties/Responsibilities:
- Arrange and coordinate logistics for all NBCCC meetings
- Take prepare and distribute meeting notes
- Handle all mailings including postage
- Assist in the design and development of all print and web-based marketing and program materials
- Assist in the planning and the implementation of the Coalitions special fundraising events and other activities
- Cover the office receptionist for lunches, etc.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned by supervisor
- Support other support staff as assigned.
- Preferred Skills/Abilities and Qualifications:
- Administrative Assistant experience is required; preferably in a non-profit or public organization
- Detail-oriented with effective communication, organizational, and time management skills
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and as a team member
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Resourceful and skilled in analyzing and problem solving
- Experience and/or knowledgeable of marketing and event planning
- Proficiency in (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Creative Suite CS5?)
- Bachelor’s degree in business or communications preferred
- A valid drivers license and access to reliable transportation for occasional field work.
7. Secretary #2913657 – Education/Experience Required: Bachelor’s degree preferred and 2 years’ experience in human services
JOB SUMMARY: The primary role of the Secretary is to assist DYS Casework Staff in managing the various clerical functions associated with the case management function and supporting the District Office. This includes processing and maintaining documentation of costs associated with client activities, and assisting the Site Support Specialist in scheduling and maintaining accurate invoices associated with activities and events. The Secretary will act as a telephone and in-person receptionist for the site.
8. Maintenance Worker #2918143 – Entry Level Maintenance Worker. Must have experience working with/on manufacturing machines.
9. Maintenance Mechanic #2918142 – Seeking FT Maintenance Mechanic to assist with routine machine and equipment maintenance and repair. MUST have STRONG mechanical and electrical troubleshooting skills, manufacturing and general maintenance experience. STRONG mechanical and electrical troubleshooting skills. MFG and general maintenance experience.
10. Booking & Intake Assistant #2918174 – General Statement of Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Performs a variety of clerical duties related to booking and releasing inmates. Ensures that all required data such as fingerprints, mittimus, photos, tattoos, emergency contacts, etc. are accurate and part of the inmates institutional record for the Bristol County Sheriff’s Department. Coordinator of booking and admissions, captain orientation and housing, ads of classification and reentry.
Here are some jobs in the New Bedford area from the NewBedfordGuide.com jobs database:
1. Teller at Bank of America. Full details and application process here.
2. Security Guard. Full details and application process here.
3. Registered Nurse at St. Luke’s Hospital. Full details and application process here.
4. Special Education Teacher at Fairhaven Public Schools. Full details and application process here.
5. Hardlines Merchandiser – Sears (Fairhaven). Full details and application process here.
Be sure to also check out our Job Portal to find jobs by location on a map: https://www.newbedfordguide.com/map-page#pm_jobs_tab. Want to get e-mail notifications for new jobs? Checkout our e-mail subscription service.