The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue.
Interested in any of the positions listed below, please contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
Here are the Hot Jobs as of April, 2nd, 2013:
1. Route Driver Helper #2122215 – A Route Driver Helper is responsible for safely and efficiently assisting in delivering, and unloading product sold to customers; and other duties as assigned.
Qualifications include: High school diploma or equivalent preferred with one year of related experience; must be 18 years of age and customer service oriented with good communications and problem-solving skills; must be able to perform frequent lifting of 50 pounds with occasional lifting of up to 100 pounds. Position must pass a post offer drug test and background check.
2. Mechanical Assembly #2122219 – Local employer seeking Mechanical Assemblers. Must possess a strong work ethic, dependable, very conscientious and handy with tools. The process is very manual (no automated machines) – will be working with – drills, hot wire, heat guns, exacto knives and others as needed. Looking for Spanish/English speaking candidates.
3. Laborer #2130703 – Some basic gardening skills; i.e. weeding, raking, mulching. Must be self motivated with attention to detail, a positive attitude, reliable, have respect for fellow workers and the homeowners. References required, No criminal record, No drugs or alcohol. Garden maintenance at private residences in the Dartmouth, Westport & Little Compton areas. You are responsible for your own taxes, you will be sent a 1099 form after the end of the year. Drivers license and own transportation, speak fluent English. High school/ GED. Veterans encouraged to apply.
4. Order Selector #2143913 – An Order Selector selects product according to pick labels, places the product in the proper locations on pallets and prepares for shipping. Duties include: scan job functions into labor clock; obtain proper paperwork for the shift; may select products using Vocal-lex technology; manual transfer of cased product from pick slots to pallet and affix label; secure products on pallets; and other duties as assigned. Qualifications include: High school diploma or equivalent.
5. Landscape Laborers #2135150 – Landscaper needed for local company. Previous landscaping experience preferred and must have transportation to and from starting point (Dartmouth, MA). Mandatory back ground checks are required by this employer.
6. Line Supervisor #2130618 – Local seafood plant has a new job opening. They are currently looking for a line supervisor. This person will have to be familiar with computers and machines. They will be running our IQF line. This is a computerized freezing tunnel. This position will be part time in the beginning. It will turn into full time once our busy season starts. The rate for this position will be $10 to $11 based on the current skills of the individual.
7. Class A Drivers #2130723 – Class A Drivers needed ASAP. Must have at least three years experience, valid medical card, drug free and willing to submit to testing at discussion. Willing to work long hours at different start and end times. Willing to sleep out if necessary. Able to perform vehicle inspection prior to driving. Able to fill out DOT log book. Able to load and unload trailers. Responsible to handle cash and paperwork. Courteous, safe and conscientious driver.
8. Sheet Metal Fabricator #1882262 – Award winning sign company seeking custom metal fabricators. Experience only; full time position. Must have operational experience: Brake & Shear Equipment, MIG Welding (aluminum), ability to read shop drawings. Competitive pay and benefits. Commitment to quality and efficient production with position attitude. Full capabilities of all power tools. Panel saws, brakes, welders a plus. Understand measuring, bolting, hoisting, use of drills. Auto cad a plus. Knowledge of UL Electrical requirements. Ballast, transformers, LEDs, neon, lamps and wiring. Applicant must have a HS Diploma or GED and five plus years of experience.
9. Driver/Chauffeur #2144003 – PT Driver/ Chauffeur for transportation to and from airports. Hours will vary depending on flight schedules and passengers. Updated license, a clean driving record and background check (CORI) will be required for this position. Experience and knowledge of the Boston area is preferred.
10. Office Manager #2151993 – Office Manager needed with experience in Excel, Word and paper and on-line application process. Must have great customer skills, and be dependable.
11. Customer Service Representatives #2151998 – Must have exceptional customer service skills. Position can lead to full time.