The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) and pulling jobs from our jobs database to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Be sure to also check out our Job Portal to find jobs by location on a map: https://www.newbedfordguide.com/map-page#pm_jobs_tab.
If there is not a link to applying for one of the jobs listed, contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
Here are the Hot Jobs from the Greater New Bedford Career Center as of June, 18th, 2013:
1. Paramedic #2562605 – This position is Pier Diem on an as needed basis. Must have at least 1 year of Paramedic experience. Provide advanced emergency care to the sick and injured. Comply with all policies, practices and procedures of the EMS Department and City of New Bedford. Subject to the approval of the EMS Director, administer skilled medical care to individuals in response to call for emergency treatment. Examine, assess and stabilize patients at emergency scene, i.e., hemorrhage control, treatment for shock, immobilization of fractures, bandaging, proper treatment for burns, poisoning or drug overdose, deliver newborns, manage mentally disturbed patients, etc.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Current certification as an Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic by the Mass. DPH, and current certification as a CPR healthcare provider by the American Heart Association (M.G.L., Ch 111C, Section 3 and 6). Current certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support by AHA.
2. Medical Office Manager #2553907 – Bachelor’s Degree in related field or the equivalent knowledge or experience is required. Position requires strong interpersonal and customer service skills, working knowledge of medical terminology and attention to detail. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, i.e. Word and Excel preferred. A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a hospital ambulatory care or medical office practice setting with at least one (1) year of supervisory experience required. Prior work experience with patient accounts management/ charge entry, electronic medical record, patient registration systems, insurance verification and co-pay collections, and business office machines required.
3. Residential Instructor #2553826 – Assisting and teaching developmentally delayed individuals independent life skills including house maintenance, cooking, cleaning, personal hygiene, vehicle maintenance, community involvement, data collection and documentation and implementation of ISP goals. 6 months experience. Approved driving record and use of personal vehicle, demonstrated experience with successful implementation of behavior programs, knowledge of Autism, ability to follow behavior plans, commitment to community inclusion, Medical certification required, ability to work with challenging behaviors.
4. Administrative Assistant #2553822 – Immediate need for administrative assistant through September. Proficient computer skills. Answer phones, filing, Quickbooks and other office duties. CAD helpful.
5. Production Team Members #2548137 – Full Time Production Team members needed. Work schedule is Tuesday thru Saturday 8:00am – 4:30pm. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: sorting through used goods, work as a team, organizational skills a must! Standing is required 100% of the time. Selected candidates will be required to reach store quotas and goals.
6. Cashier (Part-Time) #2547981– DEPARTMENT: Zoo. Under supervision, collects payments for entrance fees, gift purchases and/or food purchases.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Receives and disburses funds from customers and employees, and records monetary transactions. Issues change and cashes checks. Counts money to verify amounts and issues receipts for funds received. Completes credit card charge transactions for customers.
Compares totals on cash register with amount of currency in register to verify balances. Posts data to accounts, and balances receipts and disbursements. Operates office machines, such as calculator, bookkeeping and check-writing machines.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: High school diploma or GED equivalent. Must be bondable. Mandatory Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check. Must be available to work on weekends. The City of New Bedford has a Residency Requirement.
7. Assistant Group Leader #2578175 – Responsible for assisting Group Leader in supervising activities and addressing the needs of all children enrolled in the YWCA school age child care program.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervision over the health, welfare and safety of the children. Provides leadership to children in the group. Supervises and interacts with children during snack time. Assists Group Leader in supervision of age appropriate, theme based activities. Assists with child behavior management skills. Completion of necessary forms i.e. behavior, accident.
Serves as bus monitor when scheduled or needed. Maintains cleanliness of the site. Have knowledge and understanding of Department of Early Education and Care (EEC) regulations. Attend and participates in meetings, conferences, trainings as required. Willingness to accept responsibility for implementing the Mission of the YWCA. Undertakes related task as the needs of the operation of the YWCA or changes in the business dictates.
QUALIFICATIONS: At least 16 years old and have experience with school age children.
8. Assistant Shipper #2588107 – Local employer is in need of an Assistant Shipper for their warehouse with experience. Business system and computer experience helpful; MUST have UPS and FedEX systems experience and be able to pick up and carry large boxes weighing up to 50 lbs each. Work hours are Monday thru Friday, 8am to 4:30pm with occasional overtime.
Here are some jobs in the New Bedford area from the NewBedfordGuide.com jobs database:
1. Inventory Coordinator – The Inventory Coordinator handles all Shipping/Receiving, Equipment Pickups, Warehouse organization, product cleaning, and listing product details. Full details and application process here.
2. Medical Assistant / Receptionist – Medical Assistant / Receptionist full time needed to assist the doctor in-office and off-site. Full details and application process here.
3. Special Education Teacher – Southeastern Massachusetts Educational Collaborative. Full details and application process here.
4. Greater New Bedford Voc Tech – Guidance Counselor Teaching Assistants (2), Trade Areas Electrical Technology Instructor (2), Collision Repair Technology Instructor and Special Services Teacher. Full details and application process here.
5. Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources – New Bedford Public Schools. Full details and application process here.
6. Full Time Teller – Sovereign Bank – This full time position is located at 125 Huttleston Avenue Fairhaven, MA 02719. Full details and application process here.