The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) and pulling jobs from our jobs database to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Be sure to also check out our Job Portal to find jobs by location on a map: https://www.newbedfordguide.com/map-page#pm_jobs_tab. Want to get e-mail notifications for new jobs? Checkout our e-mail subscription service.
If there is not a link to applying for one of the jobs listed, contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
Here are the Hot Jobs from the Greater New Bedford Career Center as of July, 18th, 2013:
1. Marine Carbon Fiber Tech #2715845 – Marine Carbon Fiber Tech (RHODE ISLAND) Immediate opening for skilled composite boat builder. Must have 5+ Years of Boat/Yacht composite construction experience. BACKGROUND WITH MARINE FIBERGLASS SCRIMP CONSTRUCTION ALSO CONSIDERED.
2. Diesel Truck Mechanic #2715794 – Experience Diesel Truck Mechanic needed.
3. Customer Service & Sales (full-time) #2715658 – POSITION DESCRIPTION: CUSTOMER SERVICE & SALES ASSOCIATE – Footwear Department
Details: Jobs in this category are responsible for providing excellent customer service, selling to and servicing customers within one or more departments. Provides customer assistance and ensures basic merchandise replenishment needs are met in order to deliver a positive customer shopping experience. This is a summary and is not intended to describe all responsibilities and essential functions. KMART IS AN EEO EMPLOYER.
4. Security Guard Associate (full-time) #2715671 – Full time for position for a Security Guard is available at the Fairhaven KMart location. Hours will vary – applicant must be able to work a flexible schedule.
5. Stockroom/Unload Associate (part-time) #2715653 – Details: Jobs in the category are responsible for the execution of all receiving activities including unloading merchandise, merchandise preparation and staging, outbound shipments, and daily stockroom activities. Some essential duties include assisting in maintaining the stockroom in a neat, orderly and safe manner, properly sorting merchandise and properly using all material handling and safety equipment. This is a summary and is not intended to describe all responsibilities and essential functions. KMART IS AN EEO EMPLOYER.
6. Data Specialist #2706458 – This is a responsible, full-time staff support position in which the incumbent performs a variety of routine clerical work involving maintenance of resident and landlord files, and daily interaction with residents, landlords, and the general public on a variety of leased housing matters.
Possession of a high school diploma and training in business English, math is required as is prior experience in and general knowledge of office practices. The person selected for this position shall possess good oral and written communication skills, the ability to organize and manage time and work effectively, computer literacy, and an ability to work well as a staff member within a team setting. The ability to speak Spanish is highly preferred. Send resume to be received by 9:00 a.m. on Monday, July 22, 2013.
7. Concrete Form Workers #2706396 – Experienced Concrete form workers needed. Must have a minimum of 5 years of experience in advanced form work. Must have valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Applicant must be fluent in English.
8. Billing/Bookkeeping #2706392 – Busy, reputable, New Bedford law firm seeks professional, experienced, full time billing/bookkeeper, 32 to 40 hours per week. Responsibilities include following established billing and bookkeeping procedures, and various office administration duties. Team player a must! College degree is preferred. Experience with QuickBooks, TimeSlips, and TimeMatters is a plus. Competitive salary and benefits.
9. Driver’s Education Instructor #2723531 -Educating and teaching people how to drive with the goal of achieving driver’s license. Must be at least 25 years of age, have a driver’s license, cleaning driving record, be able to pass a CORI, High School Diploma. No special skills needed, bilingual helpful. English/Portuguese or Spanish Helpful!!!
10. Automotive Technician #2736837 – Test parts and systems to ensure that they are working properly Identify mechanical problems, often by using computerized diagnostic equipment, Follow checklists to ensure that all critical parts are examined, Perform basic care and maintenance, including oil changes, tuneups, and tire rotations, Repair or replace worn parts, such as brake pads and wheel bearings, Disassemble and reassemble parts. Use testing equipment to ensure that repairs and maintenance are effective. Applicants should have dealership experience or a vocational training background. ASE certification a PLUS. High School Diploma.
Here are some jobs in the New Bedford area from the NewBedfordGuide.com jobs database:
1. School Receptionist/clerical (year round) – Global Learning Charter Public School – Full details and application process here.
2. Security Officer – St. Luke’s Hospital – Full details and application process here.
3. Technology Education Teacher – New Bedford Public Schools – Full details and application process here.
4. Spanish Teacher – Hastings Middle School (Fairhaven) – Full details and application process here.
5. Geek Squad Operations Agent Job – Best Buy (Darmouth) – Full details and application process here.
6. Cumberland Farms Sales Associate (Acushnet) – Full details and application process here.
Be sure to also check out our Job Portal to find jobs by location on a map: https://www.newbedfordguide.com/map-page#pm_jobs_tab. Want to get e-mail notifications for new jobs? Checkout our e-mail subscription service.