The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) and pulling jobs from our jobs database to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Be sure to also check out our Job Portal to find jobs by location on a map: https://www.newbedfordguide.com/map-page#pm_jobs_tab. Want to get e-mail notifications for new jobs? Checkout our e-mail subscription service.
If there is not a link to applying for one of the jobs listed, contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
Here are the Hot Jobs from the Greater New Bedford Career Center as of July, 24th, 2013:
1. Airport Manager #2761930 – Professional, administrative and overall management resulting in the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of the New Bedford Regional Airport. Also responsible for determining maintenance and terminal operation requirements, including staff, to ensure appropriate service provisions. Responsible for developing capital improvement plans, airport improvement plans (AIP) and annual operating budgets. Responsible for presenting and enforcing current policy matters to the Airport Commission for approval. Responsible for conducting an active program of public information and promotion to assure the community’s recognition of the airport as an essential element of its quality of life and economic health. Other related work as required.
Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in aviation management, public administration, business management or related field, and seven years’ experience, three of which have been in a supervisory capacity, in airport operations management (managing a facility similar or larger than the New Bedford Regional Airport), governmental management with emphasis on municipal management and budget preparation, or related field. AAAE certification a plus, but not required at this time. AAAE certification must be obtained within three years of employment. The City of New Bedford has a Residency Requirement.
2. Parking Supervisor #2761935 – Enforce parking regulations and restrictions. Receive daily assignments, which determine assigned area of responsibilities. Obtain information from the supervisor, or designee, requiring special attention.
Patrol particular assigned areas at the supervisor’s discretion. Check for any and all parking violations, including, but not limited to: expired meters, parking abusers, expired stickers and registration plates, “No Parking” areas, loading zones, time zones, fire hydrants, driveways, handicap parking and handicap ramps. The City of New Bedford has a Residency Requirement.
3. Paralegal #2737235 – South Coastal Counties Legal Services (SCCLS), a non-profit law firm providing civil legal aid to low-income families and elders, seeks highly motivated person for the challenging position of Paralegal in its Fall River office. This position requires intensive telephone work interviewing applicants for legal assistance. Good communication and computer skills are essential. Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is strongly preferred.
Duties Include: Interviewing, some advocacy on behalf of clients, legal research, and the planning and implementation of legal education programs. The paralegal will work with attorney supervision.
- General understanding of the problems encountered by low-income families and elders in Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod & Islands;
- Ability to conduct client interviews, community education events and administrative hearings;
- Ability to meet, deal with and relate to people of divergent values, opinions and appearances;
- Ability to plan and work independently, often under pressure;
- Ability to work efficiently as a team member and to coordinate activities with other staff;
- Experience in advocacy preferred;
- Ability to communicate fluently in English and Spanish is strongly preferred.
- Because of the outreach involved in this position, possession of a car during working hours is necessary.
4. Senior Maintenance Aide #2737189 – This is a responsible, full-time maintenance staff support position in which the incumbent performs and supervises a variety of maintenance and repair tasks (plumbing, carpentry, electrical, landscaping) on buildings, apartments, grounds, and equipment.
Possession of a high school diploma/GED with training in the Industrial Arts is required. Knowledge of heating systems, electrical work, plumbing, and carpentry is also required, as is skill in the performance of basic maintenance and repairs of buildings, grounds, and equipment. The successful incumbent shall have a working knowledge of the materials and equipment used for such maintenance and repairs, and shall also have knowledge of safety procedures and regulations relating to building and grounds maintenance. The incumbent will be expected to be fit to perform manual work, and be able to work in unpleasant conditions such as inclement weather, infested spaces, and extreme temperatures. Possession of a valid Massachusetts driver’s license, the ability to operate motor vehicles, and a satisfactory safety record are also requisites of the position. The recommendation of the immediate supervisor is highly desirable.
Send letter of interest, resume, and completed Application for Employment to be received by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, July 26, 2013.
5. Shuttle Driver #2761988 – Transportation Services at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth is looking for responsible people to drive 14 passenger University shuttles. The main task is to transport passengers, guest, students, and employees on campus, and off campus to special events, satellite locations and community service locations. Must have experience with 14
passenger shuttles and vans.
Transportation Services is currently hiring for multiple shifts.
. Afternoon Shifts (approximately 12:00p.m. to 5:00p.m.)
. Evening Shifts (approximately 5:00p.m. to 10:00p.m.)
. Late Night Shifts (approximately 10:00p.m. to 3:00a.m.)
. Weekend Shifts (Hours TBD)
. Starting pay is $11.00 per hour. Start date is August 19, 2013
. Must have experience with 14 passenger shuttles and vans
. Shuttle drivers must possess a valid driver’s license
. Must have a clean driving record with the Registry of Motor Vehicles
. Must have good interpretational skills
. Must complete a Defensive Driving course
6. PCA/Home Health Aide #2776033 – Part-Time Monday-Friday 7:15 am-9:15 am (flexible can be day or evening hours). Seeking reliable, caring person to perform various personal care duties: dressing, grooming, etc. Also will do light housekeeping and cooking. Person must have GED/ HS, Basic Computer skills helpful and have an acceptable CORI. Fluency in English is necessary. Employer will start applicant at less hours to see how they perform and then increase hours up to 22.50 hours per week. Must have Driver’s License & Vehicle.
7. Structural Component Designer #2776085 – HardPine Inc. is an engineering and manufacturing company that specializes in structural components for the building industry. Specifically we supply roof trusses, floor trusses, I-joists, LVL, Paralam, Glulam and hardware, as well as design and engineering services. They are currently looking for Structural Component Designer will be using state of the art equipment should be familiar with CAE and CAD, Mitek very helpful. Must have excellent computer skills, math skills including Calculus and Trigonometry. Reliability and dependability a MUST! Willing to train.
8. Cashier/Store Clerk/Packer #2783281 – Two Part time positions available for a Cashier/Store Clerk/Packer. Duties include but not limited to: Stocking shelves, packing orders, receiving products and working cash register. Cashier experience preferred. Must be English speaking, have a good POSITIVE attitude and the ability to lift cases and upward to 50 lbs. Will train the right candidates to pack.
Here are some jobs in the New Bedford area from the NewBedfordGuide.com jobs database:
1. Shift Supervisor – Rite Aid – Full details and application process here.
2. Part Time Teller – The Rockland Trust Company – Full details and application process here.
3. Full Time Physical Therapist – Vibra Healthcare – Full details and application process here.
4. Photo Lab Technician – CVS – Full details and application process here.
5. Nursing Assistant – St. Luke’s Hospital – Full details and application process here.
6. Assistant Manager – Chuck E. Cheese (Dartmouth) – Full details and application process here.
Be sure to also check out our Job Portal to find jobs by location on a map: https://www.newbedfordguide.com/map-page#pm_jobs_tab. Want to get e-mail notifications for new jobs? Checkout our e-mail subscription service.