The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) and pulling jobs from our jobs database to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Be sure to also check out our Job Portal to find jobs by location on a map: https://www.newbedfordguide.com/map-page#pm_jobs_tab. Want to get e-mail notifications for new jobs? Checkout our e-mail subscription service.
If there is not a link to applying for one of the jobs listed, contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
Here are the Hot Jobs from the Greater New Bedford Career Center as of December, 12th, 2013:
1. Clerk of the Works/Capital Projects Manager #3402481 – Plans, designs and develops the City’s Capital Needs Assessment, implements and manages projects outlined in the City’s Capital Improvement Program, Critical Needs Bond and Energy Management Contract. This position represents the Director of Facilities and Fleet Management and recommends action on contracts and orders with the Director’s consent.
Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Drafting, Architecture or a related field desired, however, knowledge and experience equivalent to five years’ work on similar projects involving facility construction and/or renovations, with at least two years in a position with broad management responsibilities such as project manager or similar titles will be considered. The City of New Bedford has a Residency Requirement.
2. Development Associates #3388793 – JA of Southern Massachusetts serves students in classrooms in 21 cities and towns throughout Bristol and Plymouth counties, including: Acushnet, Attleboro, North Attleboro, Berkley, Dartmouth, Dighton, Fairhaven, Fall River, Freetown, Marion, Mattapoisett, New Bedford, Raynham, Rehoboth, Rochester, Seekonk, Somerset, Swansea, Taunton, Wareham and Westport.
The Development Associate position is a part-time, 25 hour/week (hours are flexible) position supervised by the President. By working with the Board and the President, the Development Associate will be responsible for raising annual revenue to meet the goals of the organization through foundation, corporate and individual giving. The position also includes increasing public awareness for Junior Achievement, maintaining strong donor relations, cultivating new prospects, tracking and reporting contributions, planning and executing methods of recognition and acting as a liaison to the Board.
Candidates should possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent and at least two years of experience in fundraising and/or event planning. Strong oral/written communication as you will be grant writing a 100% of the time, interpersonal and organization/planning skills are a must. You will be working with companies that are affiliated with (JA). Candidates must possess strong computer literacy skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office. The ability to work both independently and in a team environment is essential.
3. Dishwasher #3402322 – Part time dishwasher position available. Kitchen knowledge. Hours will vary depending on lunch, dinner, functions and events. Average hours to start will be 3 to 15 hours (Wed- Sat).
4. Resident Service Coordinator (part-time) #3402357 – Reporting to the Director of Homecare, the Resident Service coordinator is responsible for casework with elderly and family residents and residents with disabilities that may be in need of support, refers them for assessment, links them with service providers in the community and monitors the provision of the services. The position serves as a link with the site management to insure that the individual/family is aided in getting the services necessary to continue residency in the development.
- B.A. from an accredited college or university, preferable in social services, or commensurate work experience in human services, or training in the field of gerontology.
- Experience working with the elderly.
- Knowledge of local community resources.
- Driver’s license and car.
- Communication skills and the ability to relate well with others.
- Writing concise, professional, problem-oriented narratives.
- Ability to advocate for others.
- Fluency in English and Portuguese preferred
5. Bilingual Geriatric Support Services Coordinator #3402360 – Reporting to the SCO Supervisor, the GSSC is responsible for coordinating support services as part of the Senior Care Options Primary Care Team. The GSSC’s basic function is to assist eligible elderly persons to obtain services which will enhance their quality of life and allow them to live as independently as possible with dignity and respect.
- B.A. from an accredited college or university, preferably in social services or relevant experience.
- Licensed Social Worker or 2 year professional experience with elders over 60 with at least one year in a setting where elders receive health care services (such as a hospital, nursing facility, community health agency or interdisciplinary program with an ASAP).
- Knowledge and skills to work successfully in an interdisciplinary team.
- Desire and commitment to working with elders.
- Ability to keep accurate records, document clearly, and to communicate effectively all within a fast paced environment.
- General data entry skills.
- Use of a car with a current license to drive.
- Fluency in English/Portuguese
6. Teller (part-time) #3413232 – Under the direction of the Head Teller you will be expected to provide members with quality service and to accurately process transactions and member requests. Face-to-face and telephone transactions comprise of a variety of routine to more complex financial transactions including but not limited to check cashing, withdrawals, deposits, money orders, processing cash advances, and loan payments. Tellers are responsible to balance their own cash drawers and to maintain adequate cash supplies within policy guidelines. Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Adhere to all Credit Union policies and procedures, which include security compliance and following guidelines intended to limit risk exposure to fraud and losses. Complete all required Bank Secrecy Act related training annually and maintain knowledge of current BSA policies, specifically those related to cash handling (CTR filing) and identifying and reporting possible suspicious activity. Knowledge of Regulation CC is a plus.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- 1-2 years of previous cash handling experience
- Previous sales/customer service experience in a retail environment
- Mathematical aptitude
- Detail orientated and able to function in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills with ability to be clear and concise
- Must have proficient computer skills
- Two part time teller positions available. Hours are flexible.
Here are some jobs in the New Bedford area from the NewBedfordGuide.com jobs database:
1. Administrative Assistant – East Coast Staffing Solutions. Full details and application process here.
2. Assistant Manager – Domino’s Pizza. Full details and application process here.
3. Part-time Cook. Full details and application process here.
4. Courier – St. Luke’s Hospital. Full details and application process here.
5. Store Manager – David’s Bridal (Dartmouth). Full details and application process here.
Be sure to also check out our Job Portal to find jobs by location on a map: https://www.newbedfordguide.com/map-page#pm_jobs_tab. Want to get e-mail notifications for new jobs? Checkout our e-mail subscription service.