The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue.
Interested in any of the positions listed below, please contact Sharon Martin, Business Services Representative at 508-990-4115 or feel free to stop by the Greater New Bedford Career Center. These positions are posted on mass.gov/jobquest.
Here are the Hot Jobs as of May, 1st, 2013:
1. Warehouse Workers #2269885 – Interested applicants must have good work record and be dependable. Positions are available on First, Second & Third Shift. Applications available at the Greater New Bedford Career Center.
2. Distribution Manager #2255475 – Details: Area Distribution Manager.
Schwan’s Consumer Brands, Inc. (a subsidiary of The Schwan Food Company) has created and developed some of the nation’s most recognized and successful brands, such as Red Baron®, Freschetta®, and Tony’s®, Edwards®, Pagoda Express® brands, among others. We currently have an opening for an Area Distribution Manager. This position is responsible for managing the distribution activities of assigned depot operations.
Responsibilities: Manage staff to achieve distribution support of sales, operate within DOT guidelines and implementation of safety practices.
3. Seasonal Drivers #2250747 – Qualifications include:
– Minimum age of 21 years old
– Clean driving record
– Drug screen, background check, physical required
– Customer Service Skills
– No equipment necessary
– One year commercial driving experience within past 3 years strongly preferred
– Minimum of six months experience driving a like-sized commercial vehicle within the last three years is required. Hours 25+
4. Seasonal Beach Parking Lot Cashier #2269813 – Collects fees and tickets. Maintains an accurate log of daily sales. Picks up trash in parking lots. Provides security within assigned area to limit thefts and vandalism of vehicles occupying garage and garage property. Maintains garage and/or parking lot to ensure they are kept clean and orderly. Works under the supervision of the Traffic Commissioner. Position is 40 hours (weather permitting) Subject to a CORI check. The City of New Bedford does have a residency requirement.
5. Seasonal Beach Parking Lot Attendant #2269808 – This position is SEASONAL. Responsibilities are to ensure all cars parked in beach parking lots have purchased and/or displayed parking pass. Keeps hourly/daily count of all vehicles entering beach facilities. Routinely keeps parking lots clear of trash and debris. Works under the general supervision of the Traffic Commissioner. Work is Weather Permitting.
The City of New Bedford has a Residency Requirement. Subject to a CORI check.
6. Computer Aided Design Technician #2269888 – Computer Aided Design Tech needed for a local manufacturer. Must have strong computer and CAD experience. Selected candidate will be working closely with the design and production staff. Must be dependable and possess a strong work ethic.
7. Medical Assistant #2284698 – Medical Assistant, Start Date ASAP.
- New Bedford Cardiology, 275 Allen Street, New Bedford, MA 02740
- Full-Time Position, Monday-Friday 8:30-5pm
- Experienced Medical Assistant to work in busy Cardiology office.
- Duties include: Taking patients into room, taking vitals and patient histories, performing EKG’s & injections. Candidate must be a certified Medical Assistant with 3-5 years’ experience, and EMR experience is helpful.
8. Industrial Gas Technician #2284672 – Total Welding Supply has an excellent opportunity for a Cylinder Filler to fill high-pressure and cryogenic cylinders at our East Freetown facility. The position also involves painting final preparation (packaging) and assisting customers on the loading dock. Will assist loading/unloading of trucks and pallets and cylinder maintenance. Other duties as necessary.