The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Here are the Hot Jobs as of December 5th, 2012:
1. Watchperson #1643355 – FUNCTION: Provides security to eliminate thefts or vandalism of vehicles and property, and performs janitorial duties.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Guards against fire, theft, vandalism and unlawful entry at assigned areas and buildings; checks locks to see that they are secure; maintains order in a given area; reports situations to police that cannot be handled immediately. Checks validity of individuals’ credentials; patrols buildings and grounds looking for foreign objects, missing or inoperable lights. Checks gates, doors, exhibit fences inside perimeter; patrols parking lot. Performs tasks such as cleaning floors, offices and restrooms. May perform other duties such as checking boilers, regulating heat. Maintains buildings and office to ensure that these are kept clean and orderly.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid Massachusetts driver’s license with a good driving record. Must have a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check, mandatory by MGL Chapter 6 Sec. 172C. Subject to Civil Service Examination.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED: Hand-held two-way radio, automobile.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
3. Welder #1647226 – Current welding experience necessary and should have own welding helmet. Welding pipes and converters, some building, tube shaping and bending.
4. Dietician/Nutritionist (Part-time) #1647273 – Reporting to the Elderly Nutrition Program Director, the Dietitian/Nutritionist is responsible for the planning and certification of menus, Nutritional Supplement Program, community education and outreach programs, and assists the Elderly Nutrition Program Director as needed.
Provide, assess, and evaluate nutrition education at congregate meal sites and other community venues as dictated by state nutrition standards. Assess the nutritional status of older adults via home visits and phone consultations; develop individualized nutrition plans and provide appropriate nutritional counseling; Must have Bachelor’s Degree in nutrition, food service or related field, and Dietitian/Nutritionist Licensure. Must have good knowledge of food service principles and considerable knowledge of the theories and principles of nutrition.
Prior work experience in a community agency helpful. Should be sensitive to the needs of the elderly. Must have or become ServSafe Certified, Allergen Certified, CPR Certified.
5. Patient Account Representative #1645354 – Performs timely and accurate posting of manual and electronic cash receipts, denials and adjustments to patient accounts to meet billing deadlines. Generates various reports to identify outstanding credit balances and prepares overpayment packages as necessary. Excellent customer service skills. Takes initiative and action to respond, resolve and follow up regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely manner. EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS: 1-2 years healthcare billing or collections experience required with a High School Diploma. No experience required with a Healthcare Certificate or 2 or 4 year Degree.
6. Store Manager #1645214 – If you have superior leadership skills, operational excellence and can increase sales and profitability while managing a dynamic sales team, this could be the position for you!
Responsibilities: Build a loyal customer base by creating long-term relationships, Achieve or exceed sales and profit targets, Manage the store’s controllable categories on the store’s profit and loss statement, Achieve personal sales and profitability goals, Recruit, hire, and retain top tier talent, Manage the day to day operations of the business. Requirements: Minimum 18 years of age, High School diploma, GED or equivalent, Minimum of 2 years experience in retail management, Strong verbal and written communication skills, Ability to work independently and lead a team, Strong computer skills.
7. Office Administrator/Bookkeeper #1647989 – CPA Firm looking for an Office Administrator/Bookkeeper. Duties include: bookkeeping services for multiple clients, manage multiple office duties and support. Need to be able to work independently and adapt to a fast-paced office. Knowledge of QuickBooks, Microsoft Office, and Tax preparation. Competitive salary and benefits.