PAY: $13.99hr – $18.51hr
Taps water mains 4” to 48” in size with a small taping machine from ¾” to 2”; repairs hydrants, gate valves. Performs other work in connection with the maintenance, construction, and repairs of the distribution, collection (and Highway System.) Installs water meters, operates gate valves, and service shutoffs. Capable of reading service cards, gate and hydrant location books and plans. Performs semi-skilled manual work in the construction, operation and maintenance of distribution and collection systems, including work on reservoirs treatment plants, pump stations and water gates. Cuts, lays and caulks water pipes using machine or hand tools forcing sealing compound into joints to make them watertight; pumps water from trenches; digs, braces and backfills excavations for the purpose of locating pipe leaks or preparing areas for laying pipes. Replaces worn and broken parts in distribution and collection systems. Operates motor equipment.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
* Education and Experience: Graduation from a high school or GED equivalent preferred.
* Requires one year of prior experience.
* Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must be able to work with hydrants, water gates,
* valves and collection system related equipment
Must possess a valid Massachusetts driver’s license with a good driving record. Mandatory CORI (Criminal Offender Record Investigation) background check per City Council Ordinance effective May 14, 2013. Subject to call seven days a week/twenty four hours a day for emergency work. This position is deemed essential personnel and must report for duty during emergency situations.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Performs semi-skilled manual work using taping machines; various digging devices.
* The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Duties require frequent and extended periods of outside work, subject to all weather conditions and extremes; walking, standing, climbing, and frequent periods requiring sustained uncomfortable physical positions; regular and sustained periods of strenuous physical exertion, requiring the ability to lift, carry and position heavy objects utilizing proper body mechanics and techniques.
* Operation of equipment that causes loud noise levels and high vibrations; may require the exercise of caution when operating equipment or handling chemicals or other toxic materials; utilization of proper sanitary precautions when handling trash, garbage and other potential hazards.
Works outdoors in all types of situations and weather conditions. Works with water and sewage.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.