PAY: $14.20hr – $18.79hr
• Performs work in connection with the maintenance, construction, and repairs of the distribution,
collection and highway system. Installs water meters, operates gate valves, and service shutoffs.
• Capable of reading service cards, gate and hydrant location books and plans.
• Performs semiskilled manual work in the construction, operation and maintenance of distribution and collection systems, including work on reservoirs, treatment plants, pump stations and water gates.
• Cuts, lays and caulks water pipes using machine or hand tools forcing sealing compound into joints to
make them watertight; pumps water from trenches; digs, braces and backfills excavations for the
purpose of locating pipe leaks or preparing areas for laying pipes.
• Replaces worn and broken parts in distribution and collection systems. Operates motor equipment.
Graduation from a high school or GED equivalent preferred. Requires one year of prior experience. Must be able to work with hydrants, water gates, valves and collection system related equipment Must possess a valid Massachusetts driver’s license with good driving record. Subject to call seven days a week/twenty-four hours a day for emergency work.
For application/complete job description, please visit www.newbedford-ma.gov or contact the Personnel Dept., 133 William St., Room 212, 508-979-1444. Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found. EEO. New Bedford has a residency requirement.