Pay Range: $78,154 – $97,700
Oversees the day-to-day operation, maintenance and repairs of the wastewater pumping stations, collection system, Sullivan’s Ledge, Septic Receiving and the POTW. Oversight of the mechanical repairs and maintenance of the Quittacas WTP and all related sites. Ensures compliance with all regulations, hazardous waste inspections and disposal, and Industrial Pretreatment Program, annual reporting to the EPA and Department of Environmental Protection. Works on long-term integration, preventative maintenance and capital needs plans.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job.
• Prioritize and manage workflow. Track and collect data for reporting.
• Knowledge of the rules, ordinances and regulations pertaining to wastewater. In-depth knowledge of the pumping stations and collection system.
• Report on data collected through the work order program. Attention to detail and the ability to convey the compiled statistics in an easily comprehendable manner.
• Work with vendors in ordering supplies and equipment. Ability to communicate and coordinate with vendors. Possess knowledge of current field-related pricing.
• Ensure that work is being completed safely, in accordance with current guidelines, and reported on in a thorough and timely manner.
• The ability to oversee any and all actions performed within the wastewater division.
• Perform related work as required and assigned.
• Work collaboratively with staff in planning and oversight of projects.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Engineering or a closely related field.
• At least five years’ experience in wastewater utility.
• Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Grade IV wastewater operator and collection system operator licenses. 40 hour HAZWOPER.
• Valid Massachusetts driver’s license and good driving record.
• Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) background check mandatory.
This position has formal supervisory responsibilities over other temporary, part-time, and other staff employees of the Wastewater Division. Supervisors are responsible for signing performance reviews. This position works under the general supervision of the Commissioner of Public Infrastructure.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment and exposures described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works both inside and in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms.
The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop or kneel, crouch or crawl and taste or smell. The position involves heavy physical demands, such as exerting up to 100 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
The City of New Bedford, MA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.