It’s no secret that we love our technology and can’t live without our smartphones. You’re reading this article on one right now! Perhaps one of the most frustrating things that can happen is when we get careless with them and end up with a dead battery or a cracked screen. It’s even worse when we don’t know why our phone is giving us trouble. So here are some helpful tips we’ve put together that are universal and can really extend your phones life. What frustrates you the most about your phone? Got any great tips you’d like to share? Tell us in the comments.
1. Don’t charge your phone overnight: Long a source of debate, and while it’s true that most “smart” phones know not to overcharge the real issue is temperature; Make sure you take your phone case off at night if you’re going to leave your phone plugged in and charging. If you have a case on your device that does not allow heat to escape, this heat will increase the temperature of the battery and will cause cell oxidation, which will shrink the capacity and shorten the lifespan.
2. Invest in a good case: Phones are getting lighter, thinner and more fragile every year. Scratches and damage reduce the value of the phone and make the user experience frustrating. There are lots of choices, make an educated decision and customize it to make it personal.
3. Use a screen protector: There are high quality ones that really extend the life of the glass. It’s much easier to replace a screen protector than it is to pay for a brand new screen.
4. Avoid humidity: This seems like common sense, but I’d wager most of you take your phone in the bathroom when you shower in the morning. Steam from the shower can cause rust between connectors which leads to touch and LCD issue.
5. Be aware of excessive heat and sunlight: Another sure fire way to damage the screen and the display, don’t leave your phone on the dashboard of your car this summer.
6. Use quality accessories: Whether is the charging cable or a new screen, don’t skimp. A cheap part is cheap for a reason. Quality is important so it’s worth the extra $5 to $10 for a genuine OEM part. If you have an $800 phone take care of it.
7. Turn down the brightness and turn off Automatic Brightness: It’s probably obvious at this point, but you’ll be surprised by how much this one alone helps to improve battery life.
Want to read more about Mr. Fix & Customize? Check out our spotlight.
200 North Dartmouth Mall
North Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Phone: (508) 999-5900