With Valentine’s Day just a few days away, men around New Bedford will be squirming to satisfy their lady’s need to be loved on 14 February. There is a good chance that some men will forget Valentine’s Day and suffer the consequence of sleeping on the couch. Most men will make a feeble attempt at declaring their love by simply going through the motions by taking their lady out to dinner at the same tired places.
Guys, here are 10 great date ideas to ensure your Valentine’s Day not only goes smoothly, but ensures your lady throws you into bed instead of onto the couch.
1. Carabiners Indoor Rock Climbing – Rock climbing can be a fun date. Since opening in 2004, Carabiners has been offering New Bedford residents a fun way to exercise. It also provides a great venue for an active date. Check out our spotlight from last year here.
2. Ice Skating – Ice skating can be a fun, romantic time. Hetland in New Bedford doesn’t have public access on Saturday, so you’ll have to travel to The Providence Rink for some outdoor ice skating that is open to the public seven days a week from 10am – 10pm. With all the snow call before you head there to make sure they are open.
3. New Bedford Symphony Orchestra – Looking for an amazing musical experience? The New Bedford Symphony Orchestra is performing “Romantic Spells” on February 14 at 7:30pm at the Zeiterion Performing Arts Center. Tickets are $25-$60 and students are always $10; available through The Z box office, 508-994-4900 or online at www.nbsymphony.org. Full details here.
4. Visit a Museum or Art Gallery – New Bedford offers outstanding museums and galleries. Here are the places you should consider. Call ahead to get their hours.
- New Bedford Art Museum – 608 Pleasant Street – (508) 961-3072
- Gallery X – 169 William Street – (508) 992-2675
- Arthur Moniz Art Gallery – 22 William Street, (508) 997-8644
- New Bedford Museum of Glass – 61 Wamsutta Street, (508) 984-1666
- TL6 the Gallery – 100 William Street, (508) 992-8100
5. Couples Massage – You can’t go wrong with a couples massage. The best location for a couples massage is Gloria and Company on 211 Alden Road in Fairhaven. It costs $170 per couple for 1 hour.
6. Take a Private Dance Class Together – Want to sweep a girl off her feet literally and figuratively? Schedule a private dance class and learn to Salsa, Tango or some other romantic dace. A quick Google Search shows plenty of dance studios in the area.
7. Head to A Comedy Club – What’s better than a night of drinks and a comedian making fun of you all night? Rhode Island Comedy Connection has two shows on Valentine’s Day. Calendar here.
8. Dinner at a Nice Restaurant – If you don’t have a reservation at one of these restaurant, you may be too late. These places offer some fine dining and the perfect atmosphere for your date.
- The Waterfront Grille – Outstanding atmosphere and quality food. Menu here.
- Cork Wine and Tapas Bar – Romantic atmosphere and unique menu items. Menu here.
- All Friends Smokehouse (Westport) -They are having a special “Dinner for 2 Menu” including an appetizer, 2 entrees, and dessert for $49.95. They are BYOB so bring by your favorite bottle of wine. Reservation can be made by calling 774-264-9798. Menu here.
- The Pasta House (Fairhaven) – Outstanding atmosphere and quality food.
- Adriana’s Mexican Restaurant – Eat quality, authentic Mexican cuisine in a classy, family style setting.
9. Learn to Paint – Painting With a Splash is one of New Bedford’s newest businesses. They offer step-by-step painting with a local artist in a BYOB environment. Details and class schedule: http://www.paintingwithasplash.com/.
10. Visit a Book Store or Library – Don’t think book stores or libraries can be fun? Most libraries have some great art, artifacts and of course some amazing books. There are also some great books stores like Remains To Be Seen/Baker Books (2 McCabe St. in South Dartmouth) and fun ones like Newbury Comics (331 State Rd in North Dartmouth).
11. Cook Together – There is something amazing about discovering a new recipe and cooking the meal together. Dust off that recipe book you bought years ago or search the internet. The key is try something different and new and enjoy each other’s company.
12. Make a Reservation at a Nice Hotel – Here is a list of excellent hotels and bed and breakfasts in the area:
- Fairfield Inn & Suites New Bedford
- Hampton Inn Fairhaven
- Davenport House Bed & Breakfast
- Orchard Street Manor
- Captain Haskell’s Octagon House
- Melville House Bed And Breakfast
- Wayfarer Bed & Breakfast
- Baggins End Guest House
- Lizzie Borden Bed and Breakfast
Extra Credit: Order Your Netflix or Redbox Movie Early – Don’t be a buffoon and wait until the last minute to order a romantic movie. I recommend Shakespeare in Love, The Notebook, Moulin Rouge, Casablanca, Ghost or Sixteen Candles. Here is a good Top 50 list.
Plan your Valentine’s day early and take your date out somewhere special. It’s up to you whether Cupid’s arrow strikes your lady in the heart…or you in the groin.