What was life like for the whalemen aboard the whaleship Charles W. Morgan? Find out on Wed., April 23, as New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park holds its Welcome Home, Charles W. Morgan event. This New Bedford-built whaleship will make an historic visit back to her homeport this summer, and this event gives people of all ages the opportunity to explore what it meant to be a 19th century whaleman on this vessel. The events take place between 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM, and all events are free of charge.
Groups of ten or more are requested to call ahead one week in advance. New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park is located at 33 William Street, downtown New Bedford.
Activities are as follows:
- 11:00 AM-12:00: 19th century Morgan sailors come to life. Hear their stories and share their adventures.
- 11:00-12 &1:00-3:00 PM: Try your hand at harpoon-throwing
- 1:00-2:00 PM: meet the cook of the Morgan; bake and taste some hardtack
- 11:00 AM-12:00 & 1:00-3:00 PM: whale craft activity
- 12:00-1:00 PM: sea chantey singalong
- 2:00-3:00 PM: knot-tying for landlubbers