FUNCTION: Manages, plans and implements supportive recreation programs for all ages and abilities while performing supervisory and administrative functions related to daily operations of the Andrea McCoy Recreation Center.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the general supervision of the Director and Assistant Director of Parks Recreation & Beaches.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervises part-time and seasonal employees.
• Plans, implements, coordinates, supervises and evaluates the overall scope of supportive recreation for members and patrons of the Andrea McCoy Recreation Center and auxiliary classrooms;
• Performs duties related to the daily operations of the Andrea McCoy Recreation Center (expected to carry out entire operations with minimal oversight from superiors);
• Develops and plans ongoing fitness programs, arts and crafts classes, cultural programs, one-day events, and educational programs; instructs classes when needed and assists/mentors staff instructing programs;
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships and collaborate with persons or groups invested in the City of New Bedford and Parks Recreation & Beaches, associates, other employees, departments and the general public;
• Oversees the entry, maintenance and renewal of all members and programs in the Sportsman SQL database;
• Responsible for the collection and reconciliation of all supportive recreation program fees, rentals or admission rates;
• Responsible for all aspects of the facility, ensuring areas are safe, clean and secure, space is prepared for scheduled activities, and environment is ready for participation from its members.
• Responsible for making sure all department policies and regulations are adhered to.
• The above covers the most significant responsibilities of this position. It does not, however, exclude other occasional duties, the inclusion of which would be in conformity with the position.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Must possess a valid Massachusetts driver’s license. Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check mandatory per Massachusetts General Laws.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Education & Experience: Bachelor’s degree or college level training preferred; Supervisory ability, experience resolving problems usually associated with one to three years’ experience; At least three years working with youth in a recreation, education or coaching environment.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Ability to supervise and instruct classes, skill in programming activities for youth and adults; Ability to motivate, direct and supervise participants and staff in a variety of activities; Willingness to be flexible.
Applications and instructions: http://www.newbedford-ma.gov/Personnel/employ.html.