State House News Service
Cape Cod officials aired their frustrations Thursday with private house parties they said have contributed to an uptick of cases in the region, and urged residents to continue wearing masks, practicing social distancing and otherwise complying with public health guidance.
“There’s evidence that the community spread is limited, so we’re talking about private events, which admittedly is frustrating, particularly given the fact that there is ample fresh air and sunlight and breezes on Cape Cod,” Truro Sen. Julian Cyr said on a conference call with other members of the Cape’s reopening task force. “It’s frustrating to see these private events occurring, particularly if they’re occurring indoors. Private events at which physical distancing and mask-wearing are not occurring are the clear accelerate that is spreading the virus on Cape Cod.” Cyr said he can relate to the desire to socialize, but urged people to do so responsibly. He suggested visiting with friends outdoors, in chairs spaced apart from one another.
Thirteen people tested positive for COVID-19 in connection with a house party earlier this month in Chatham, Board of Selectmen chair Shareen Davis said. Davis called it “reckless and dangerous” to ignore public health guidance and said officials wanted to impress upon young people “that their actions have impact” and they could spread the highly contagious virus to loved ones who may be at higher risk.