Mosul, Iraq’s second largest city, is officially back in the Iraqi government’s control. Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi formally declared victory over the Islamic State in Mosul. I covered this yesterday in a short blog – President Trump scores victories in Syria and Iraq in just a few days.
ISIS, the guys that throw gays from rooftops, use civilians as human shields and shoot them when they flee, burn people in cages and make daily beheading videos have lost their stronghold in Iraq. I didn’t see much coverage in my newsfeed yesterday, but figured when I woke up I’d see a ton of coverage. Instead, my newsfeed from Boston and local newspapers had mostly irrelevant stories and none on Mosul.
As of 9am, only one Boston newspaper and no south coast, MA newspapers reported that Mosul was now under official government control on their Facebook pages. The Boston Globe published one story of the fall of Mosul on July 9th (but nothing since) and then covered 14 anti-Trump stories. The Boston Herald hasn’t covered Mosul on Facebook since April 3 and Boston.com hasn’t even covered Mosul on Facebook in 2017.
Here are 11 things they decided to show you instead of the fall of ISIS and the return of Mosul to the people:
1. Weather in New England is sporadic (Boston Globe)
2. Some fit people work out in a gym in Natick (Boston Globe)
3. Patton Oswalt got engaged (Boston Globe)
4. Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski are house hunting in Natick (Boston Globe)
5. Brad Stevens and Gordon Hayward have been united (Boston Herald)
6. Free slurpees at 7-11 (Boston Herald)
7. Franklin Delano Roosevelt announces that he will run for a fourth term (Boston Herald)
8. Buffalo Bills tackle arrested on weapons charges (Boston.com)
9. Michelle Obama will away an award (Boston.com)
10. A big plastic dinosaur is moving (Boston.com)
11. Ben Afflack has a new girlfriend (Boston.com)
These outlets have a ton of resources and reach a lot of people. They have some of the best writers in the business, but you have to ask yourself why they covered 30+ Trump/Russia stories on Facebook while only mentioning the the fall of Mosul, ISIS’s major stronghold once. Mosul symbolizes a lot of American soldiers hard work and lost lives. It’s time to push partisanship aside and report major news that Massachusetts residents deserve to hear – even if it makes President Trump successful.
Have a comment? Post a reply! Want to share your opinion? Email email@example.com