The Greater New Bedford unemployment rate is much higher than the rest of Massachusetts, but believe it or not there really are a lot of jobs available for qualified applicants. Sometimes the barrier to a new job can be the lack of information on available job openings. To solve this, each week New Bedford Guide will be working with the New Directions Southcoast (also known as the Greater New Bedford Career Center) to inform job seekers about the hottest jobs in the area. We will define “Hot Jobs” as those jobs that need to be filled by the employer immediately. For those looking to search some large job databases, checkout my Best Job Search Resources for New Bedford Residents article. Unless noted otherwise, those interested in these positions or want more information should go to the Greater New Bedford Career Center at 618 Acushnet Avenue. Here are the Hot Jobs as of October 24th, 2012:
1. Machine Operator (#1600961) – Experienced machine operator with basic math skills. Will be working with fiberglass, laminating and converting. Must be able to understand written and verbal instructions in English. High attention to detail is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Researches conditions in local, regional and national areas to determine potential market to promote New Bedford. Responsible for marketing for the City of New Bedford. Promotes City attributes, develops innovative methods of utilizing resources, develops marketing plan for increased development, Examines and analyzes statistical data to forecast marketing trends. Organizes and manages the City’s Tourism Visitor Center, as well as all aspects of the City’s tourism efforts. Coordinates activities and information from private and public concerns that relate to tourism in New Bedford.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in business management, public administration, marketing or closely related field, and five years’ professional and supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Extensive knowledge of the City of New Bedford and Southeastern Massachusetts demographics.
3. Drivers/Monitors (#1603562) – Chair car regular license/school vans 7D license. SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS-need school bus license. Must pass Cori and have good driving record. 15 to 30 hours a week. We will train.
4. Programs Coordinator (#1603588) – Supervise administrative, programmatic, and clinical aspects of residential programs serving adults with developmental disabilities in home settings. Develop, implement, and monitor treatment plans. Coordinate case management services and staffing supports, in compliance with DDS. Degree preferred. Experience required. Bachelor’s Degree with at least four (4) years experience in the field; additional work experience can be substituted for degree requirement.
5. Bookeeper/Office admin (#1603622) – Experienced bookkeeper who can also provide office organizational support, computer and network familiarity with excel and quick books 10.
6. Food Service Workers (#1603637) -Many positions available at UMass Dining Services. Servers, cashiers, grill cooks, dining room attendants etc. Both full time and part time positions are available. Hours vary and depend on position, but include morning, evenings and nights. Previous food or retail experience preferred. 20 – 35 hours a week. Need to read and write.
7. Substance Abuse Counselor (#1605975) – Minimum of Bachelor’s degree with 3 years substance abuse treatment experience. Prefer masters and LICSW/LMHC and CADAC. Bilingual applicants encouraged to apply. Computer Skills: Microsoft office.
8. General Warehouse Worker (#1606083) – General warehouse worker in Taunton. First and second shift.